Samurai an XLH1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun

Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
HD-SDI field recorders supporting a variety of codecs.

Old March 27th, 2012, 07:38 PM   #1
Major Player

Samurai an XLH1

I know this might belong in the tapeless forum.....but has anyone had real good success with the Samurai by now.?? We'll have to use audio cables if we go with the Samurai..sine the orig. version of the H1 doesn't support audio down the HD-SDI.

Has anyone been successful recording the infamous 24f on it....then importing the files into a NLE with the pull down added.....so you can edit on a 60i timeline instead of a 24 timeline?

Thanks....
Old March 27th, 2012, 09:02 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Re: Samurai an XLH1

Moved from Canon XL to Atomos for better exposure.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 08:37 AM   #3
Major Player

Well, the H1 already adds 2:3 pulldown to conform 24F to 60i on output through HD-SDI. You can just record the stream as is and have that ready for a 60i timeline edit.

Hope this helps.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 02:27 PM   #4
Trustee

I have had great luck with my Samurai, however I usually have it set to record the famous "24F" in a way that removes the buffered 60i frames. I have not tried to capture the straight 60i stream while in 24f so I cannot speak to that directly.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #5
Major Player

Marty - could you elaborate on your statement: "I usually have it set to record the famous "24F" in a way that removes the buffered 60i frames. "

Thanks,

Harry
Harry Bromley-Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 03:40 AM   #6
Major Player

The reason I asked this question was.....we were looking at the nano flash. It can record the 24f...and then add the pull down...etc. or not ! Most projects we shoot are 24f.

The current HDrive solution we have records 25mbs into a .m2t file. If camera is set for 24...when u import into Avid....you get real 24fps. Nice if you want that. But then we have to transcode into Avid dnxhd for better res output. Then...our AJA does a nice job of adding frames to make the spot/video a 29.97 broadcast compliant format.

With the samurai....and supposedly the dnxhd codec on it.... We could record qt movies with the OP-Atom codec wrapper for avid. I think we could select 220dnx....on the samurai.....and we'd be set. Even with recording 24f.

Just curious if anyone has done this yet? Plus...is the DNxHD available yet? Can't find squat on the Atomos website!!!!

Thx.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 07:59 AM   #7
Major Player

If you are in need of 24F in a broadcast compliant 29.97 format, then you should have no problems here, because the camera sends out 24F that way already out of the HD-SDI.

The beauty of devices like the Nanoflash is that they have an option to remove the 3:2 pulldown added by the camera upon capture, so what you get is true 23.98p footage.

But what you are asking for is already being done by the camera, so you would just record that output to your external device set to record 1080i60.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 08:50 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Bromley-Davenport View Post
Marty - could you elaborate on your statement: "I usually have it set to record the famous "24F" in a way that removes the buffered 60i frames. "

Thanks,

Harry
Harry,
Well the "famous" comment was a bit of sarcasm as the canon's 24F was originally scrutinized as not being true progressive since the specs of the chip are more in line with an interlaced chip. It was finally put to bed after extensive testing showed the resulting footage was identical to 24P, yet canon had to call it 24f.

As Mike Galvan has since stated, the XLh1 embeds the 24fps footage into a 60i stream to meet certain broadcast specs for SDI. This meant the 24fps footage was padded with extra frames to meet that spec. When editing, these extra frames would have to be removed to restore the original 24fps. It can be done but is often a nuisance. Devices like the Nanoflash or now my Samurai can detect this cadence and remove the extra frames on the fly, reducing the need to do this in post.

My guess is if you need to keep the 60i compliance you can disable this feature on the nanoflash. On the Samurai I just record at 60i to accomplish this, although i never shoot in this mode.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun