Problems with Samurai BNC cable on XLH1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
HD-SDI field recorders supporting a variety of codecs.

Old April 7th, 2012, 02:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Problems with Samurai BNC cable on XLH1

Am having a problem connecting the Samurai to my Canon XLH1.

I have the Samurai mounted on the hot shoe toward the front of the camera.

One of the mini-BNC to BNC cables did not even fit on the Samurai.

The other one fit, but the connector has already separated from the cable.

In addition, my local electronics shop tells me that they only stock BNC cables of 3' or more. But I only need a total cable length of 21" from the mini input of the Samurai to the SDI output of the camera.

I'm surprised that Atomos did not supply the mini-cables with a 90-degree connector to prevent them from breaking so easily.

Can anyone tell me what they have done to successfully connect their Samurai to the XLH1?
Bob Prichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2012, 01:01 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Problems with Samurai BNC cable on XLH1

bob,
i have samurai on my xlh1 - used a 14 inch ( could be a touch longer) sdi cable and made a cable loom with that, audio out and lanc cable and put them in heat shrinl tube... works fine...
hope this helps
Greg Waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2012, 07:48 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Where did you find a 14" SDI cable?
Bob Prichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2012, 09:16 AM   #4
Regular Crew

just made one up...
greg
Greg Waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2012, 09:48 AM   #5
Major Player

Bob...have you spoken to the Atomos after sales Help Desk? They're very good responding to issues with their equipment.

Your statement confuses me: "One of the mini-BNC to BNC cables did not even fit on the Samurai."

Please don't take offense, I'm just asking, but you do know one end of the supplied cable is Mini-BNC/F and the other-end is a 'normal' BNC/M connector. Atomos made the cables that way in-order for people to purchase a short 'BNC' cable with both ends Female.

Atomos is 'investigating' a longer version with a 90-degree Mini-BNC/F and a 90-degree BNC/F on the other end. These cables will be longer ~75cm for direct connection from the Samurai to the camera, making the BNC 'extension' cable unnecessary. I hope this helps.

support@atomos.com

Regards,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2012, 12:09 PM   #6
New Boot

When Jeromy does demos, I've noticed that the cables he uses to connect the Samurai to a field monitor are not the typical RG59 type shielded cables. Instead he uses what looks like plastic coated wire instead of cable. Does anyone know what it is? I'm wondering if this is only good for short runs like in his demos or if you could use this wire for long runs of 100'.
Robert Fierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2012, 04:10 PM   #7
Major Player

Robert...The two supplied Mini-BNC to BNC cable are smaller diameter, plastic coated cables, electrically, they exhibit the same characteristics of 'normal' RG59 cable and are fairly robust. I just wish they where long enough to go directly from the Samurai with the appropriately sexed connector to the SDI male connector of my camera.

More(longer)cable equals more 'snagging' potential.

Regards,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 04:07 PM   #8
New Boot

I was thinking of long runs of the HD-SDI signal back to the producer in a video village or to a production switcher in a multi-cam set up. I thought shielded RG59 would help prevent video interference over longer distances, but maybe that's my analog thinking in this digital world. I would certainly prefer to use that thin stuff if there's no advantage to using RG59. Do you know what it's called?
Robert Fierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 09:38 AM   #9
Major Player

Robert...I don't know the specific spec for the cable, but this might help.

1274566-3 TE Connectivity RF Connectors

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun