DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/atomos-ninja-samurai-shogun/)
-   -   Anyone recording from a Sony NX5u? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/atomos-ninja-samurai-shogun/507120-anyone-recording-sony-nx5u.html)

Andrew Bower April 20th, 2012 04:57 AM

Anyone recording from a Sony NX5u?

I am trying to decide between an EX series cam and the NX5 + Ninja or Samurai.
Is anyone out there using this combo (NX5 + External Recorder)?
I would love to see some 4:2:2 footage to compare with my knowledge of the XDCAM EX series.

Thanks!

Andrew

ps - We edit on the windows platform, specifically using Sony Vegas, so any format will work just fine.

Jack Zhang April 20th, 2012 10:18 AM

Re: Anyone recording from a Sony NX5u?

I'll have to stop you at Windows and Sony Vegas.

In my experience with ProRes files on Vegas, if you're working on a large project, having too many files loaded will result in completely black clips. You will also suffer from black frames during preview.

Be prepared to split your projects, A LOT. And be cautious of black frames when editing. You must keep your File IO Surrogate process UNDER 1GB of memory usage to ensure no black clips (not black frames, those will happen no matter what) occur.

James Kuhn April 20th, 2012 12:23 PM

Andrew...I have an 'NX5' and the Atomos Samurai. I am not a 'power' user, so I don't have a lot of experience using a 'field recorder', but when my friend and I ran a few tests, he said to me, "I never get video this good.", he's been in 'Broadcast' for 30-years, and is an Art Director. Considering his expertise and years of experience, I think it's a pretty good combination, for a 'sub - $4k camera.

JMHO, YMMV.

J.

Andrew Bower April 21st, 2012 01:23 AM

Excellent info!
Thanks James. I think we will end up buying a Samurai and then renting an NX5 and an EX3 to see the difference between the two. We have the time to wait!
I do love the functionality of the Z5 so I know I will like the NX5.

Andrew

Andrew Bower April 21st, 2012 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Zhang (Post 1728567)
I'll have to stop you at Windows and Sony Vegas.

In my experience with ProRes files on Vegas, if you're working on a large project, having too many files loaded will result in completely black clips. You will also suffer from black frames during preview.

Be prepared to split your projects, A LOT. And be cautious of black frames when editing. You must keep your File IO Surrogate process UNDER 1GB of memory usage to ensure no black clips (not black frames, those will happen no matter what) occur.

hi Jack,

Sorry to hear you are having issues with Vegas. What version are you running? There were some issues with 11 so we don't use it for any client work at this point. Since I move data between Pro Tools and Vegas I typically use Vegas 10 32bit so I can use the import feature (not available in 64bit).

I have to tell you we have ingested so many different types of footage over the years, I can't remember any time I have had issues. We even did a project for Grass Valley where we converted some 100Mb/s 3D demo footage for them to show at IBC last year - loaded right up into Vegas and rendered out perfectly.

I don't want to turn this into a Vegas discussion, but feel free to PM me and maybe I can be of assistance?

Andrew

James Kuhn April 21st, 2012 08:34 AM

Andrew...you're quite welcome.

I also have VP10 (64-bit) & VP11. VP11 (64-bit) was a little 'twitchy' when it first came out, but the latest download, 'Build 595', seems to be pretty stable. Again, I'm not a 'power user', so my experience is limited.

Best regards,

J.