Samurai V3 NOW AVAILABLE on Atomos website. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun

Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
HD-SDI field recorders supporting a variety of codecs.

Old May 29th, 2012, 02:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Samurai V3 NOW AVAILABLE on Atomos website.

The new firmware download is available at Atomos
Dominic Witherow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 05:53 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Samurai V3 NOW AVAILABLE on Atomos website.

No DNx yet
Bruce Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 06:15 PM   #3
Major Player

I assume that the rumor alleging that DnxHD would be included with a firmware upgrade was just that ... a false rumor? B&H is still showing it as a paid upgrade for the originally suggested price and indicates a June 1st availability.
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 03:26 AM   #4
Regular Crew

There's a long blog post from Jeromy Youngs (Atomos CEO) on the Atomos website (The Atomos Blog | Just another WordPress site), which goes into some detail about the various issues raised on this forum. It's certainly worth reading and, whilst not changing the frustration from waiting waiting, it does give realistic timescales and some interesting updates.
Old May 30th, 2012, 09:55 AM   #5
Major Player

I've just updated my Samurai to Ver 3.0 and am wondering if the "new features," i.e. Zebras, peaking, etc, can only be activated when the Samurai is receiving signal from the camera, since the unit by itself gives no indication that these features are available when invoking the menu command immediately following update?
Old May 30th, 2012, 11:09 AM   #6
Major Player

Ron, et al...will wonders never cease? I'm glad ATOMOS got FW v 3.0 released. I have one minor correction regarding the 'rumor' that DNxHD would be included in the v. 3.0 FW. It was not a rumor, I heard Jeromy Young say it would be included in v. 3.0 during an interview at NAB '2012. You may decide how that affects your opinion of Jeromy Young and ATOMOS.

Best regards,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 11:30 AM   #7
Trustee

I have to say that the peaking looks pretty cool so far...but I have only tested it in my kitchen under very good lighting. The LCD was not washed out in this setting, so the monitor actually proved useful. However, I feel as though it will likely become unusable as soon as I get into a real work setting where I am shooting unscripted events. We will see. But I can say the focusing with my 6x XL lens appears to have become infinitely easier than when using only the EVF itself.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 12:21 PM   #8
Major Player

Does anyone know what the new "Export xml" icon is telling me? It's on the bottom of the "Media" screen.

Regards,

J.
Old May 30th, 2012, 07:56 PM   #9
Major Player

I'm surprised that some minimal form of documentation was not included with the firmware release vis-a-vis the new features and "export xml."
Old May 31st, 2012, 05:22 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I asked Atomos about the lack of instructions and they have just told me that they are currently putting together some documentation for users. Let's see ...
Old May 31st, 2012, 05:46 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I look at all the issues you guys have had with Atomos and the Samurai and I wonder: Is the product really good enough to justify all the hassles?

I can understand the points in the blog, but it does make them look like a pretty amateur operation.
Ryan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 08:42 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Despite the apparent frustrations, I have to say yes, it's worth it. For my needs it's a fantastic bit of kit and it does exactly what I want it to do and it does it well. The frustrations I have faced are all about expectations of extras not being well managed. That's all.

The initial delay in getting the unit was very frustrating, but since it arrived I've had great success with it and contacting Atomos directly with any issues has always resulted in an excellent customer service experience.

It's like with any tool - you choose it based on what you need to achieve at the time. It does everything I need and any new features are pure bonus. But, like anyone who enjoys a new device, I am always keen to get my hands on the newest and best, so it is frustrating being told it'll be with me on day x when it doesn't in fact turn up for a while after.

Atomos seem to be trying to get to grips with their comms and they seem to accept that they have been a bit too hasty with projected delivery dates. But, all that's unrelated to the fact that the basic product is excellent and well worth it at the price.
Old May 31st, 2012, 11:11 AM   #13
Major Player

I have to agree with Dominic, the ATOMOS Samurai is a good product(I don't have a Ninja, so I can't comment). It's reasonably well designed for its primary function, recording HD video on commercially available 2-1/2-inch hard drives using an excellent recording CODEC. All of this functionality at a reasonable price-point.

My biggest complaint is the company's inability to provide solid delivery dates for its products and their lack of communication skills in making their customers aware of the delivery issues they are experiencing. I recently received notification via email regarding the new Ninja II and the offer to sell the new product to 'registered' owners at a reduced price. Apparently they are capable of mass emailing when they want to sell you something, but chose not to notify 'registered' owners of 'Jeromy's Blog' article or the delays in FW v. 3.0 delivery.

Regards,

J.
Old June 5th, 2012, 06:52 PM   #14
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Witherow View Post
I asked Atomos about the lack of instructions and they have just told me that they are currently putting together some documentation for users. Let's see ...
Thats great to hear. I've pretty much figured out the new features in v3.0 but scoured their website looking for info on what colors represent what exposure level in the new false color feature. A few I've figured out by changing the zebra setting and toggling the false color on to match exposure areas.
Bill Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012, 06:46 AM   #15
Regular Crew

What IRE values can be chosen for the zebras?

I´m using a camera that can only show zebras down to 70% so it would be fantastic if the samurai zebras can be set to 40-50% for exposure metering on a grey card!

Last edited by Felix Steinhardt; June 6th, 2012 at 07:21 AM.
Felix Steinhardt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun