Samurai with old Canon XL-H1 question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
HD-SDI field recorders supporting a variety of codecs.

Old July 12th, 2012, 07:51 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Samurai with old Canon XL-H1 question

I have the original Canon XL-H1. I want to continue using this camera with the Atomos Samurai.

My question is about audio and time code. The Canon XL-H1 does not have embedded time code or audio in the HD-SDI stream. How do I get the 2 channels of audio into the Samurai unit? If I use the headphone IN port, will it separate the audio to 2 channels or will it be mixed stereo? I happen to do a lot of interviews and need separate audio tracks. Can you please let me know how this would work?

Im not too concerned about the time code but how do you suppose that would work or do I use the Samurai's built in time code?

Thanks for you help with these questions.
Travis Andersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 12:00 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Samurai with old Canon XL-H1 question

I would go out the camera’s RCA audio to the Samurai’s Stereo Line In with something like this and RCA shorty cables. It will record two channels of stereo. I use the Samurai’s Time of Day time code when recording with my XL H1a.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 12:09 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Mike. So just to be clear you can not do a channel 1 and channel 2 separated audio with this set up? It would be mixed stereo only? Is this correct

Thanks
Old July 12th, 2012, 12:54 PM   #4
Major Player

No, sorry I wasn’t clear. There will be two separate channels not mixed. You will have to get into the Samurai’s audio set up menu and tell it to record those channels because that isn’t the default setting.
Old July 12th, 2012, 01:09 PM   #5
Major Player

On re-reading I think I did not answer the question you were asking. I believe you want to use the Canon’s CH1 and CH2 to record two stereo pairs (four channels on the Samurai). You won’t be able to do that as I described because I believe the Canon mixes CH1 and CH2 at the RCA out. Sorry to have misled you.
Old July 12th, 2012, 01:38 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hey Mike. No you did not mislead me. You did answer it correctly. Just want to do 2 channels of separate audio. This is great so I think I can go get one now. Thank you for your information,

Travis

Last edited by Travis Andersen; July 12th, 2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old September 16th, 2012, 04:43 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Mike quick question. I have the Samuri and love it! Great tool I also have an XHA1 which has similar connections to the XLH1a. So how do you have yours set up to work? I would love to see or hear how you do this as I want to also use it with my XHA1. Thanks.
Old September 17th, 2012, 04:18 PM   #8
Major Player

I use a D4 to Component Video Adapter cable (part number L5160 at <iec-usa.com>) with RCA to BNC adapters to go from the camera’s Component OUT to a BlackmagicDesign Analogue to SDI mini converter and then BNC to miniBNC cable from the converter’s SDI OUT to Samurai SDI IN. For audio, RCA shorty cables with RCA to ¼” phono adapters from camera’s Audio OUT to converter’s Audio IN. It should work for the XHA1. I have been told the man that designed the Ninja and Samurai for Atomos also designed this converter while working at BlackmagicDesign.
Old September 17th, 2012, 04:23 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info Mike. I was just looking at the Black Magic analog to SDI converter. They are pretty cheap and I already have all the other cables. Looks like I grab that up too. Thanks again.
Travis Andersen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun