D-Tap and mini bnc cables arrived! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun

Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
HD-SDI field recorders supporting a variety of codecs.

Old July 23rd, 2012, 03:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

D-Tap and mini bnc cables arrived!

Just received the free d-tap dummy battery and mini bnc cables that were originally promised ages ago, when you register your samurai. Nice one atomos!

- The bnc cables are also the other gender at the business end, so useful for going straight from samurai to your camera with no need for a short bnc cable inbetween.

Shame the mini bnc connectors aren't at a right angle, and no dtap cable is supplied, - but you cant have everything!

The dummy battery will come in very useful - we've just ordered a load of bits of our F3, and now we'll be able to run evf, f3 and samurai all from a v-lock.

Anyone else received their free bits?
Peter Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 11:10 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: D-Tap and mini bnc cables arrived!

Peter...good on ya, mate! Great news for those of us who have been waiting patiently for those items. I'm curious, "... and no dtap cable is supplied", could you send a picture of the 'D-Tap' adapter? How are you supposed to power the Samurai without an attached cable? My other D-Tap adapters have integral cables attached.

Best regards,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2012, 02:33 PM   #3
Major Player

Peter...I presume the new BNC cables are longer than the original 'adapter cables' that includes the standard size BNC connector on the camera end of the cable. Being able to go directly into the camera will be helpful from the standpoint of having one less "snag-hazard". My excess 75 Ohm cable is currently wrapped around the carry handle of my HXR-NX5U.

I have a 10-ft, 75 Ohm cable I use to route the Samurai into my car when I have my camera mounted on the front of my car while driving. It's simple, but effective. I place the Samurai on a Jobo tripod on the passenger-side seat, and I'm able to 'see' the footage I'm capturing as well as make corrections to the lens placement if needed.

If history is any judge, the U.S. will be a couple of weeks behind the U.K. owners.

Please keep us informed of any further updates.

Regards,

J.
Old July 25th, 2012, 04:50 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Pleasant surprise in the post this morning, and yes the new cables are about twice the length of the originals.

Well done Atomos!
Dominic Witherow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 06:13 AM   #5
Regular Crew

No Dice in Germany yet
Frank Glencairn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 12:53 PM   #6
Major Player

Dominic...good news indeed. I'm looking forward to receiving the new, longer, BNC cable.

Regards,

J.
Old July 25th, 2012, 02:31 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I hope, they also start shipping those "Connect" converters I payed for several months ago.
Frank Glencairn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 11:39 AM   #8
Major Player

I just went to the Mail box and much to my amazement, there was a package from Atomos US. Inside the package are the (2) new, ~70cm BNC adapter cables and my new D-Tap DC power adaptor. Everything looks well-made. As was mentioned earlier, the BNC cable adaptors are longer (~70cm) then the originals and include a full-size BNC connector that can be attached directly to the HD-SDI spigot on the camera. Being able to go directly to the camera is a lot less 'snag-prone' then adding a length of 75-Ohm Coax to the mix.

I have to say, this is a timely delivery. I'm leaving Wednesday for a week-long video workshop in Rockport, ME. Perfect timing Atomos!

Thank you very much Atomos!

Regards,

J.
Old July 30th, 2012, 11:57 AM   #9
Trustee

Got mine today too! It looks like this might just make the mess of wires on my XLh1 a little less "snaggy" if you will. Excited to get something free that I had basically forgotten about anyway!
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 03:17 PM   #10
Major Player

Received mine as well. But am I the only one experiencing difficulty locking the standard bnc connectors into the F3's A connector? I cannot easily grasp the knurled ring once its inserted and found that only the
Canare connectors supplied by Abelcine work for me. And I don't have fat fingers.
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2012, 10:20 AM   #11
Major Player

Ron Wilk...I don't have an 'F3', but I do have chubby little cookie grabbers. Heh, heh! With my Sony HXR-NX5U, it's a little snug to get my fingers around the connector twist-lock, but it's manageable. This is not an Atomos issue, but a 'camera issue'.

Regards,

J.
Old July 31st, 2012, 10:29 AM   #12
Major Player

I never meant to imply that it was an Atmos issue.

The A & B outputs of the F3 are so deeply recessed that standard connectors are at best difficult to lock and unlock. I have yet to notice any reference to that issue and wonder if others harbor the same complaint but are reluctant—for some unknown reason—to make note of it. The Atmos cables employ the standard connectors and are therefore not—IMO—the most user friendly for F3 users. I have found, however, that the Canare connectors, with their elongated knurled section, mitigate that issue.
Old July 31st, 2012, 01:32 PM   #13
Major Player

Ron...Sorry, I didn't mean to 'imply' you were implying it was an Atomos issue. I guess I just was stating the obvious.

Regards,

J.
Old July 31st, 2012, 08:01 PM   #14
Major Player

No problem.
Any idea where to obtain a d-tap cable for the dummy?
The links supplied by Atmos suggest a DIY project.
Old July 31st, 2012, 09:24 PM   #15
Major Player

Not really. I'm going to give Remote Audio a call to see if they might have a technical solution. I'd like to be able to power my Samurai with a NP-1 LiOh battery and a R-A BDS. I've used my Sony battery Power/Charger to power my Samurai, but I like having an Atomos purpose-built D-Tap.

Regards,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun