Canon Rebel T3i with Samurai? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun

Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
HD-SDI field recorders supporting a variety of codecs.

Old September 5th, 2012, 10:04 PM   #1
Major Player

Canon Rebel T3i with Samurai?

Good evening, all.

I have a question from the sunny climes of California:

My Canon T3i has an HDMI output. Can anyone tell me if the Samurai will record that signal? Would I be able to record to a better codec or to a higher resolution and color-space on a Samurai than I am currently obtaining - recording to the internal T3i cards?

I know that the Samurai can record ProRes 422 HQ, but I don't know what the T3i puts out through it's HDMI port.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thank you,

Harry.
Harry Bromley-Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 01:44 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Canon Rebel T3i with Samurai?

Firstly it would have to be a Ninja rather than a Samurai as the Ninja records HDMI. The Samurai would require an HDMI to SDI adaptor. Secondly you should look at this page from the Atomos website and check the output from your camera on a monitor.

H1 - Does Ninja range work with DSLR cameras? - ATOMOS

If your camera gives a clean feed ie without overlays and doesn't crop the image too much it may be worth doing. Otherwise stick with the on-board stuff.

The Pro-res codec is part of the recorder, the video coming out of the HDMI from your camera is uncompressed.

Last edited by Duncan Say; September 11th, 2012 at 02:47 AM. Reason: typo
Duncan Say is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 02:25 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: Canon Rebel T3i with Samurai?

Be aware that if you record to the sd card at the same time the output via the hdmi is downsized I think to sd.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun