Do I need one .? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
HD-SDI field recorders supporting a variety of codecs.

Old September 26th, 2012, 07:20 AM   #1
Major Player

Do I need one .?

Hello bord, I have a ex camera , both SDI out and HDMI out, will the ninja help improve the detail and qlty of my footage. at the moment I just record to the stand sxs cards.

HD101/G5 Mac/4gig Ram/1TB HDD/30" Cinema Display/FCP.
Robert Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 08:36 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Do I need one .?

Hi Rob,

Consider that you are currently recording to Long-GOP MPEG-2 at 25 or 35Mbps using 4:2:0, and that Ninja/Samurai will record ProRes at 100, 150, or 220Mbps intra-frame with 4:2:2 color. You may not notice much difference at first to the naked eye, depending on footage. If it is very busy footage (lots of detail/motion) then the ProRes advantage will be more readily apparent. Differences will become more noticeable when color grading or compositing with ProRes footage, as you would see improved results.

Another benefit is extended record times for long events without the need to change camera cards. Plus you can edit direct from the Ninja drive if you want, without moving footage to computer drive first. Also provides a larger preview monitor than the on-camera LCD.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Jeff Pulera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 09:26 AM   #3
Major Player

Re: Do I need one .?

An old blog of mine may be of interest:

Mike Marriage - Blog

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun