My 3 Samurai Feature Requests at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
HD-SDI field recorders supporting a variety of codecs.

Old December 26th, 2012, 11:18 AM   #1
Major Player

My 3 Samurai Feature Requests

1. Working audio meters - switchable between 2 tracks and 8 tracks which display actual 0 db scale. Also put them on the record monitor picture screen.

2. Remaining media countdown. Put it on the record monitor picture screen.

3. Make the red recording bars flash when less than 2 minutes remain on recording media.

I think it's OK that the peaking, false color etc are on separate menu screens, but it would also be nice if some of those features could be readily accessed from the recording picture screen also, like to turn peaking off or on to check focus or false color for exposure.

Atomos, these features are vital for working professionals. You have done a remarkable job with these two recorders at a great price point compared to other manufacturers. However, these two simple features will be a great improvement to both devices by not forcing us to constantly switch from actual picture monitoring to menu screens while we are recording.

Anyone else with firmware improvement suggestions please chime in.
Bruce Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 08:48 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: My 3 Samurai Feature Requests

On a similar vein to the requests above I would ask that the battery level should be indicated on the monitor screen.

Just had a recording come to a sudden end because the batteries had expired and I then realised that you can't see the battery level on the monitor screen.

So that would be a very helpful addition.
Duncan Say is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 01:02 PM   #3
Major Player

Good additional suggestion. So far no response from Atomos team that monitors this board, but perhaps they are too busy implementing these firmware improvements . . .
Bruce Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2013, 04:30 AM   #4
Major Player

Have they ever fixed the facial recognition focus problem? The only useful auto focus on the Sony A99 is the one where it tracks faces but the Ninja 2 maddeningly records the focus square around the faces. This means no meaningful steadicam shots.
Betsy Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 06:31 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy Moore View Post
Have they ever fixed the facial recognition focus problem? The only useful auto focus on the Sony A99 is the one where it tracks faces but the Ninja 2 maddeningly records the focus square around the faces. This means no meaningful steadicam shots.
I think that is a problem of your camera not the recorder. The Ninja can only record what comes down the HDMI, and if you have overlays turned on then obviously it is going to record it.

You should get on to Sony and see if they will update their firmware if this is not something that you can do in camera.
Duncan Say is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 11:46 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Schultz View Post
Anyone else with firmware improvement suggestions please chime in.
Screen rotation. Since the Samurai has mounting holes on the top and the bottom it would be nice if I could mount it on my camera using the top mount hole (upside down with the screen rotated the right way.). That way, the BNC connections would be on the right side (where they are on my camera) and not on the left.

Don't know if this is currently possible or even if it makes any sense.
Jose Carlos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun