DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/atomos-ninja-samurai-shogun/)
-   -   My Ninja wont record! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/atomos-ninja-samurai-shogun/517375-my-ninja-wont-record.html)

Ian Whelan June 24th, 2013 09:55 AM

My Ninja wont record!

Maybe I'm doing something wrong! I bought a Ninja 2 last year to work on a project I was shooting on my FS700. I bought a SDD unit and tried it out - it wouldn't record. As I was half way through filming I decided to keep filming on the cards I Had been using. I purchased the Atomos 750GB SDD unit a few months back and have only just got around to trying everything out - and surprise surprise... it still wont record!

The record button is greyed out. When I go to the settings, I can format the drive. When I connect my FS700 to the recorder, the screen freezes and won't let me access anything.

Any thoughts? All appreciated!

Mike Sims June 24th, 2013 11:15 AM

Re: My Ninja wont record!

I don’t use a Ninja2 or FS700 but here are some general things to check until someone with experience with both has a chance to post.

1) Atomos doesn’t make or sell drives. I’m not sure what you mean by “Atomos 750GB SDD unit”. Perhaps you mean the drive is on the approved list. There isn’t currently any 750GB SSD (solid state drive) on the list so you likely have a 750GB HDD (hard drive). Make sure it is on the list; it really pays to use approved drives with these recorders. Since the Ninja can format the drive it is likely working.

2) The Record button will remain grey if the recorder doesn’t detect an input signal. I see from the FS700 User Manual PDF (page 92) that your camera requires a menu selection to set output. Confirm that Output Select is set to HDMI (choices are SDI, HDMI, Component). Can you connect the HDMI output to another device like a monitor and confirm the camera is playing as expected? The freezing might be because the HDMI is set to a resolution that the Ninja can’t record (like 1080p).

3) Check the Atomos Knowledge Base on their website. I recall seeing a post on Atomos’ forum about someone using a FS700 with the Samurai but I haven’t noticed anything about Ninja2. It might require a specific setting and, if so, information is likely in the Knowledge Base.

4) If you can’t get it working be sure to contact Atomos Support. They have always been very helpful to me.

Ian Whelan June 24th, 2013 04:48 PM

Thanks a million Mike - I'll mess around with it some more tomorrow and hopefully it will work!

D.J. Ammons June 24th, 2013 09:19 PM

Ian, Mike has given you excellent advice. I am curious as to what you meant by saying you had an Atomos 750gb drive as they don't make any. Like Mike I am assuming you meant a 750gb HDD drive from their approved drive list? If so out of curiosity what brand and model do you have?

Ian Whelan June 30th, 2013 01:17 PM

Hi DJ - I got this wrong! It is actually a Hitachi SSD... supposedly approved! The unit still isn't working so I Think I'll contact support. Sigh...

D.J. Ammons July 1st, 2013 07:14 PM

Ian,

The only Hitachi drives on the Atomos recommended list are HDD's. If you are using a Hitachi SSD then it is not one they have tested to work with the Ninja.

Here is a link to the latest recommended hard drive list on the Atomos website. It shows the brand, specific model numbers, and type of hard drive (HDD or SSD). Not just the brand name but the specific model numbers are important. For example the Samsung 830 series SSD is on that list and spoken of highly for use with the Ninja if you search the internet. However that model is now obsolete and the 840 series replacing it does not work well with the Ninja. Some people assume the 840 series works because the 830 did but not true at all.

What Hard Disks do we recommend? | Atomos

Alan Craven July 3rd, 2013 09:43 AM

Thank you, DJ, for the comment about the suitability, or rather the lack of, the Samsung 840. I was making the assumption that you warn about, and was on the point of ordering one.

The problem with the Compatibility List is that almost all the SSDs on it are no longer available, it is such a fast moving technology.

In the event I bought a 240 GB SanDisk Extreme, which on testing, works perfectly.

Jeff Pulera July 3rd, 2013 10:59 AM

Hi Ian,

If you press the "MON" button, can you see the incoming video signal? If not, then the drive is not the issue. It can't record if there is not video. Also, at upper left of Ninja screen, do you see the video format listed, such as "1080i 29.97"? If not, another sign that you do not have a valid video input to the Ninja.

Thanks

Julian Frost July 3rd, 2013 02:56 PM

As was stated above, most of the SSDs listed in the compatibility list are no longer available. However, if you email ATOMOS support with the specific drive number, they will tell you if it has been tested and works. B&H Photo are bundling a 240GB SanDisk SSD with the Ninja2 that is not on the compatibility list, but ATOMOS confirmed that it was tested and works fine.

D.J. Ammons July 3rd, 2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Craven (Post 1803128)
Thank you, DJ, for the comment about the suitability, or rather the lack of, the Samsung 840. I was making the assumption that you warn about, and was on the point of ordering one.

The problem with the Compatibility List is that almost all the SSDs on it are no longer available, it is such a fast moving technology.

In the event I bought a 240 GB SanDisk Extreme, which on testing, works perfectly.

Alan,

You are correct about a lot of the models on the compatibility list being no longer available. Like you I purchased the SanDisk Extreme. I think it is a good choice because not only is it on the list and still available but if you search on the internet there are very positive reviews for it in general and the few instances where you can find someone using it with a Ninja it works very well. Oh, and price wise I found very good pricing. I purchased both a 120 GB and 240 GB. The only other drive I have purchased for my Ninja so far is the WD Scorpio Black HDD in 750 GB. I anticipate mostly using the SanDisk SSD's but wanted a bigger drive in case I have a very long event to record.

Alan Craven July 4th, 2013 01:38 AM

D.J.,

I did not see the good reviews for the Sandisk Extreme, but, like you, I got it at a good price, so I am well pleased.

I have a 320 GB WD Scorpio in my other caddy, but I wanted to have an SSD as my main storage drive for the reduced risk of problems due to motion. My camera is exclusively used outdoors for wildlife, so I did not think that spinning disk drives were too good an option.

D.J. Ammons July 4th, 2013 09:00 AM

Alan, this morning (July 4th) Adorama actually has the 128gb 830 series Samsung SSD on sale for $99. Must be some old stock because this is the only place I have seen the 830 series still for sale. Everybody else only offers the 840 that doesn't play well with the Ninja.

Johannes Karhula July 21st, 2013 07:27 AM

Today a panic moment with Ninja2!

I was about to shoot a leaving of sailing ship from a harbour. Arrived on a location already 1h before, got plenty of time to set up the camera (Z5) and shoot also some material from surroundings.

Of course, when the moment arrived, Ninja2 was not recording anymore! When REC pressed, only 20 frames was recorded and then record stopped. Always the same thing. I tried to turn off/on Ninja2, but then tried the ultimate solution: formatting hard disk. This helped and I could just get the sailing ship shooted.

Don't know what was wrong, I got 2 x Kingston SV300S37A/120G SSD disks and they have been working fine now the whole time I have had Ninja2 (around 1,5 months). Sometimes I got skippy icon just when put Ninja2 on and started recording.

Johannes

Johannes Karhula July 21st, 2013 10:53 PM

More news about panic moment. Luckily could recover all files from the SSD with Recuva!

Johannes