ninja and 12v/dummy battery at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
HD-SDI field recorders supporting a variety of codecs.

Old July 27th, 2013, 09:48 AM   #1
New Boot

ninja and 12v/dummy battery

Does anyone know of a model # for a dummy battery that would allow me to hook up 12v power to the original ninja? It would have to match the np sony battery mount it seems. A dc auto charger to np dummy battery would be ideal, if anyone knows of one--perhaps someone manufactured one for the many sony products that use the np battery type? I need it for remote shoots and it would work so much better in many ways for my setup than even the really large sony np batteries available. The dummy battery sold by Atomos will not work on the original Ninja.
Brad Bulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 06:14 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: ninja and 12v/dummy battery

Here's an article that seems to cover what you're attempting:

Mains power for Atomos Samurai or Ninja recorders on location

He says it's the same one for the NEX-FS100 and NEX-FS700 Sony cameras. You could possibly find the model number in one of those cameras' manuals.

Last edited by Mark Watson; August 1st, 2013 at 07:27 AM.
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 08:38 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Brad,

Atomos offers a D-Tap Dummy Battery kit with leads for $49 list, part # ATO-DTP001. You should be able to adapt any 12v battery source to those leads then. Full specs here - N2 - Dummy D-Tap Battery - ATOMOS

Atomos also now offers an AC adapter for $79.95, part # ATOMACP001, but as Mark pointed out, any Sony or third-party solution with appropriate dummy battery will also work with AC source. N1 - Can I power Atomos Recorder from an AC (Mains) power supply? - ATOMOS

The small, 1900mAH batteries included with Ninja will power it for 4 or more hours. If you got a pair of the Sony NP-F970 batteries at 6300mAH, I would expect about 12 hours or more, though it would be too heavy and bulky for on-camera mounting.

More D-Tap info:

N3 - Accessories for Atomos products - ATOMOS

Anton/Bauer - Products - P-Tap kit MALE (link from Atomos site)

Thanks
Old August 1st, 2013, 10:33 AM   #4
Major Player

Quoting from the previously mentioned article:

"Sony AC Adapter AC-V700 (with dummy battery cable) is what I used on location. These have been supplied with Sony Z1s in years gone by and most recently with the FS100 and FS700.

The Swit Sony NPF Dual Charger will also do the job – this too can be purchased with dummy battery."

They AC-V700 seems to be out of production but available on ebay. The Swit unit is available for $165 and includes the "battery-shaped AC adapter"

S-3602F Charger/Adaptor for Sony NP-F970/770
Mark Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun