Mounting thread worked loose on Samurai Blade at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
HD-SDI field recorders supporting a variety of codecs.

Old April 22nd, 2014, 06:19 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Mounting thread worked loose on Samurai Blade

After just four uses the mounting thread on my Samurai Blade has worked loose - both screws have been lost and the thread fixture is now loose inside the casing. I also notice that there is a third hole where it looks like a screw should have been, but it too is not there anymore, assuming it was ever there in the first place (it exists on the top edge of the case in the same position). I can only assume an assembly issue.

I had the unit mounted on a shoe adaptor (other than one occasion when I used an arm attached to the mounting point on the top edge of the case.

Sadly, this has come at a very bad time as I am going away on Thursday for three weeks and had bought the Samurai specifically for this job.

The suppliers, CVP, have said that I must take the unit in to them for repair and if they can't do it while I wait it will have to be sent back to Atomos. Real shame they can't just replace it given that it's less than a month old.

Totally buggers up my plans and has shaken my confidence in Atomos build quality (in other regards I was quite happy with the device). Doubly annoying as I have bought 6 SSDs to last the three weeks (no opportunity to offload to a laptop where I'm going) as well as extra batteries and 2 dual chargers. It's also put me off buying from CVP - everyone has been really friendly - but not giving me the answer I think I deserve - a straight replacement!

While I'm moaning about Atomos, I should add that it's a real disappointment that despite their claims in a marketing video of a couple of years ago, they still have not implemented the shot selection utility for any NLE other than FCP.

Rant over - now looking at Convergent Designs offerings . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 07:49 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Mounting thread worked loose on Samurai Blade

If CVP or Atomos won't yielded (which I agree is very disappointing) I think I'd rush purchase another Samurai blade (to make sure you get it tomorrow before you travel), then pick up the argument on your return...worst case scenario is that you'd have a 1 month old Blade which has been "factory reconditioned" to sell in a few weeks time - but I would hope one or both parties would not let it come to that.

CVP are a very professional outfit (I've had sterling service from them when my original Canon C100 had issues) and Atomos supply professional production tools. Therefore, everyone will be watching very carefully to see how this is eventually resolved - and more fool them if it's not a solution you or we would want to hear.

Off now to inspect my Ninja Blade...
Old April 22nd, 2014, 07:59 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks Andy. To give Atomos the benefit of the doubt I have not contacted them, only CVP at this point. Your advice to buy another unit is sound, although shelling out another grand a couple of days before an already rather expensive trip wasn't high on my list! I'm going to CVP tomorrow morning to see if they can do a repair there and then. If not then I will have to bite the bullet I guess. I'm not now flying until Friday night so I have a bit more time to get it resolved. I really hate it when situations like this leave a sour taste in the mouth. It was all going so well . . .! If the Odyssey 7 was available I'd have already gone down that road (the 7Q is a bit out of my budget) but I guess I have little choice but to stick with Atomos. As you say, worse case leaves me with two Blades - and I guess I can find a use for them or sell one off. Thanks again.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 08:33 AM   #4
Major Player

I believe there's an option to flip the screen, or at least the video input - maybe flip the unit over and use the screw hole on the top perhaps temporarily?

Jeff
Jeff Pulera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 09:05 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Jeff, there is indeed such an option. My concern, though, is the loose mount rolling around inside and shorting something. Looking through the hole that the loose mount has left you can clearly see circuitry.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 11:50 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Update

Well, my faith is (mostly) restored.

Thanks to the good people at CVP's Brentford location my Samurai Blade is now reassembled and working :-)

I'm still somewhat underwhelmed at the build quality/assembly/qc, though, that would allow those screws to work themselves loose and fall out after such little use. I can't find any reference to anyone else being affected by this so I guess it's only fair to put this down to a one-off.

Now, how I would have wanted it handled would have been as follows: 'yes, sir, please return it for an immediate replacement as you bought it less than a month ago' as opposed to 'please make a two hour round trip to Brentford then wait in our lobby for an hour while we take a look at it and then decide whether or not we can fix it here or you need to buy a new one for your trip'.

But in the end all is well and they have recorded the issue in the event that any further problems develop in future, so I guess I am back on side with CVP and Atomos.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Anyone know if the HDMI to SDI converter works with mini HDMI, by the way? I was thinking of using it on my GH2 as well.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 12:06 PM   #7
Major Player

"mini HDMI" is simply a smaller connector, SAME signal. Just get a cable with mini HDMI on one end for your DSLR and standard HDMI on the other end to connect to Atomos.

Inexpensive source is "monoprice"

Thanks

Jeff
Jeff Pulera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2014, 12:14 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Great, many thanks Jeff.
Old April 25th, 2014, 11:28 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Re: Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark View Post
Well, my faith is (mostly) restored.

Now, how I would have wanted it handled would have been as follows: 'yes, sir, please return it for an immediate replacement as you bought it less than a month ago' as opposed to 'please make a two hour round trip to Brentford then wait in our lobby for an hour while we take a look at it and then decide whether or not we can fix it here or you need to buy a new one for your trip'.
They should been better than that. They should have same-day shipped an advance replacement against a credt card deposit, which they refunded when they received your faulty item back. Anything less is really not good enough for a company that deals with professional customers.

Unlike Andy I've had a couple of disappointing transactions with CVP over the years. Sales are good, but I've been consistently disappointed at their service levels.
Mark Morreau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun