Blackmagic HyperDeck vs. Ninja 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun

Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
HD-SDI field recorders supporting a variety of codecs.

Old August 11th, 2014, 11:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Blackmagic HyperDeck vs. Ninja 2

Hi everyone,

I am shooting with a Canon XA25 and would like to make the transition from internal 8-bit AVCHD to external 10-bit 4:2:2, but really struggling with which manufacture to go with.

I really don't need or want a monitor on top of the hot shoe, so I'm thinking the HyperDeck would be better, but I am hearing that people really really like their Ninjas. The HyperDeck does Uncompressed Quicktime, but the Ninja 2 only does Apple ProRES. Am I even going to notice the difference between Uncompressed and ProRES? Does the Ninja 2 do ProRES 422 (HQ) or just ProRES 422 (see the differences here)?

Is a new PC laptop running Premiere Pro CC going to be able to handle Uncompressed Quicktime with ease?

I do like that the Ninja 2 can do SSD or HDD, (because HDDs are so much less expensive), but will I be damaging HDDs when out in the field recording? I can't chance that.

And then there's the price:
  • Ninja 2 - $695 includes everything except actual storage and mount for camera
  • HyperDeck - $345 + $99 for mounting plate. That doesn't include storage or a SSD dock.

Battery life for the Ninja 2 is supposed to be much better than the HyperDeck too. Argh! ;)

Just not sure what to do here since this would be my first external recorder.
Old August 11th, 2014, 11:47 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Blackmagic HyperDeck vs. Ninja 2

OK, well now I just watched the NAB 2014 interview with Atomos regarding the Shogun and the Ninja Star. If I don't want the monitor, I suppose the next best thing is the Ninja Star. The price point is good for me, but the CFast cards sure do sound expensive. And I'm not sure how good they would work for actual workflow with the NLE.
Old August 17th, 2014, 09:18 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

For me, no question - Ninja or Samurai Blade. ProRes Proxy (I believe), LT, 422, HQ. Unless you are doing serious green screen work or compositing I don't see much need for Uncompressed UNLESS you KNOW you NEED Uncompressed. If you aren't sure, you don't need it.
Old August 18th, 2014, 03:28 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I went with the Samurai Blade.
Old August 19th, 2014, 08:49 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
I don't see much need for Uncompressed UNLESS you KNOW you NEED Uncompressed.
I haven't seen a single workflow pipeline that mentions uncompressed in this way. Uncompressed is not the same as raw, and uncompressed doesn't necessarily mean any better quality in a way that can be demonstrated.

The Samurai Blade is a fine choice.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2014, 09:13 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I have both mounted to my TriPod leg.
I found Velcro more usefull than the BM adapter
I like being able to see/record what is behind me while seated.
The MustHD M701 Monitor is mounted on a different leg.

I will be selling both a getting a Shogun to record 1080 P60
Roger Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2014, 09:32 PM   #7
Contributor

Chet - probably made the right choice - I own an HDS2 and the aren't limited to uncompressed as mentioned in this thread - the do ProRes as well, but they are particularly picky about media (probably due to the legacy SATA 2 bus connector) and you can't change settings in the field without a laptop.

Apart from a status LED there's nothing to tell you whats going on either. I prefer a unit with a monitor myself.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun