Atomos Shogun Inferno? at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun

Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
HD-SDI field recorders supporting a variety of codecs.

Old October 14th, 2016, 09:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Atomos Shogun Inferno?

I am thinking of getting the Inferno in order to shoot 4K on my Sony FS700.

Do I need to send the camera to Sony to get 4K out of the sensor?

In reading the specs on the Atomos website, nearly all the recording options have an asterisk that leads to a disclaimer 'available in future firmware updates'. How long does it take for Atomos to provide these updates? What can the recorder actually do out of the box now?
Bob Prichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2016, 09:31 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Atomos Shogun Inferno?

If your camera is not the FS700R, you will have to send your camera to Sony to install the RAW option.

Firmware updates unfortunately take lots of time, usually the best you can expect that I've grown accustom to is a quarterly firmware update. Expect definite firmware news at NAB.
Old October 15th, 2016, 02:57 AM   #3
Trustee

You can go into your cameras menu's and check the firmware version to find out if it needs the upgrade or not. Firmware version 3.00 or above already has the 4K output; numbers below that will need to be sent in to Sony.

Info is incredibly scarce so far for the Inferno, but the the most definitive time given for the firmware updates I've heard was 4-5 weeks, and that FS700 HFR would be in the first firmware update. I can't remember if that was in a press release, or possibly from the Atomos rep on the B & H website.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2016, 07:29 AM   #4
Trustee

Just did a quick web search and it seems that several sites have published the same info which I assume is regurgitated from an Atomos press release:

4-5 Weeks for the first firmware update, which will include Sony FS 100/120/200/240fps.

However, just a few weeks ago at IBC, they were announcing that HFR for Sony would be included from release and the firmware update was for Canon and Arri Raw. So clearly their firmware announcements are subject to change.
Old November 24th, 2016, 12:32 AM   #5
Trustee

Looks like the first firmware update for the Inferno has been released... and still no mention of HFR recording, which they said would be included in the first firmware update.

Sigh.

Looks like this could be a similar case to the raw recording on the original Shogun, where it was promised for years but never made it past beta. I think I'll wait until the next Firmware release, and if that one still lacks the features which were supposed to be included from launch, I'll give up and buy the Odyssey instead.
Old November 27th, 2016, 01:21 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wiley View Post
Looks like this could be a similar case to the raw recording on the original Shogun, where it was promised for years but never made it past beta. I think I'll wait until the next Firmware release, and if that one still lacks the features which were supposed to be included from launch, I'll give up and buy the Odyssey instead.
To piggyback on John's comment, at this point, given Atomos' track record, don't purchase the Inferno/Flame series unless it will do what you want it to do today. If you need raw recording that works, and you need it soon, the Odyssey is your best bet.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2016, 11:06 AM   #7
Inner Circle

People that want HFR signal passthrough will still want to get the Inferno. The Odyssey has no HFR signal passthrough.
Old December 5th, 2016, 12:42 AM   #8
Trustee

Well, turns out I couldn't wait much longer before making a purchase decision after having a few 4K requests - so I've gone ahead and purchased the Inferno.

I'll try to do a quick write up on it here once I've had a play, as there's so little actual information out there about this unit so far. The only proper review I've seen for it focused 3/4 of the article on the HDR screen - whereas what most buyers probably want to know is what features the bloody thing actually has working as of right now!

For now though I'd totally agree with Gary that you should only purchase it based on what it currently does - not what has been promised for future firmware updates - and at that point it seems to be ProRes/DNxHD only, and tops out at 60p for both 4K and 1080p.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

Omega Broadcast
(512) 251-7778
Austin, TX

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

EVS
(800) 238-8480
Glendale, CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun