DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/atomos-ninja-samurai-shogun/)
-   -   Is a used original Atomos Ninja worth messing with? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/atomos-ninja-samurai-shogun/533768-used-original-atomos-ninja-worth-messing.html)

Joe Mizera March 21st, 2017 07:26 AM

Is a used original Atomos Ninja worth messing with?

Hi folks,

I have an opportunity to pick up a MK 1 Ninja for half (or maybe less) of the cost of a Ninja 2. Hard to find any good comparisons. Anyone familiar with both? I wonder if it's worth messing with, or if I should just pull the trigger for a Ninja 2.

Jeff Pulera March 21st, 2017 07:59 AM

Re: Is a used original Atomos Ninja worth messing with?

I don't know what features are different between Ninja and Ninja 2, but for under $300, with full one-year warranty, I'd just go new myself. You buy used to save a few bucks, then perhaps lose precious footage maybe??

For storage, I will mention that G-Tech now makes "Atomos Master Caddy" drives, no messing with plastic caddies and little screws. Ready to use, and no worries about drive suitability.

Thanks

Jeff

Lee Flippin March 21st, 2017 02:39 PM

Sorry, I can't answer the OP's question either.

I basically agree with Jeff's assessment of used vs new, when talking about an important piece of equipment for which the difference in $$ might not be worth the difference between having a full warranty and not having one.

However, I did want to mention that the caddies supplied by Atomos work seamlessly with any of the long list of SSDs that have been tested and validated for any given Atomos product. IMO, the freedom of choice: I.e., the differences in read/write rates, price, storage capacities, and availability allowed by using the caddies is well worth the half a minute or so that it takes to place an SSD into an empty caddy and tighten the screws. If that is the only thing separating the G-Technology drives from all the others, it very possibly shouldn't be the deciding factor.

Dan Brockett March 25th, 2017 08:28 AM

I see used Ninja Blades which are highly superior to both, used for $300.00. Don't buy a Ninja Mk1 or a Ninja 2. Get a Blade, you'll thank me, the screen is so much better. I've seen new Blades on sale now for $399.00 on Amazon. I've had the Blade for almost three years, dragged it all around the world shooting and it has been solid as a rock. The screen on mine melted in the Sahara last year, shooting in 132F for several days, Atomos replaced it under warranty.

Gary Huff March 25th, 2017 09:20 AM

It depends on what camera you are going to pair it with and what the purpose of recording in ProRes is going to be. If you think it will make your footage look better, you'll probably be disappointed unless you're using it with something like a HDV camera.

Dan Brockett March 26th, 2017 10:16 AM

True. I have shot a ton of footage with the Blade at Prores HQ and when eyeballed next to the C100's internal AVCHD, the difference is negligible. I mainly use it because I shoot a lot of green screen and the Blade's 10-bit recording from the cameras's 8-bit output and the 4:2:2 color space are demonstrably better for compositing. I also use it for client convenience, they like receiving Prores HQ files better than AVCHD.

But objectively, if I wasn't shooting for clients, I would just use the internal recording. I do mostly for my own projects where I would rather not deal with the weight and extra battery requirements. I shoot a lot of handheld so not having extra cables and weight hanging off of my camera is a nice thing.