DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/atomos-ninja-samurai-shogun/)
-   -   Sanity check on using a Shogun Inferno with Canon 5D mk3!!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/atomos-ninja-samurai-shogun/534137-sanity-check-using-shogun-inferno-canon-5d-mk3.html)

Mike Adams May 23rd, 2017 02:37 PM

Sanity check on using a Shogun Inferno with Canon 5D mk3!!!

I’ve just bought a Shogun Inferno to replace my old field monitor. I tend to replace kit on a rolling basis – future proofing as I go. At the moment I’m still using my ‘venerable old lady’ 5D mk3, so not using the Shogun’s full 4K capability just yet.

Problem is the Shogun doesn’t seem to accept the HDMI signal from the camera? The camera’s firmware is up-to-date (so clean uncompressed HDMI output) but the Shogun can’t see it. I’ve been through all the Shogun and 5D menus to see if I have to set anything manually, but it appears it should all just happen automatically? I’ve tried it with both my 5D bodies, so know it’s not a camera hardware fault, and have plugged the Shogun into another source which it finds OK.

So that just leaves the HDMI cable. Now the only HDMI –A to HDMI-C cable I have to hand is a $20ish cable. It claims to be 2.0 and 3D ;o). I note that the Atomos HDMI cable for the Shogun is $100!!! Before I spend any more money, could somebody just sanity check me here and confirm that the Shogun is indeed compatible with the 5D mk3? Has anyone else had this problem but found it to be something else?

Pete Cofrancesco May 23rd, 2017 03:20 PM

Re: Sanity check on using a Shogun Inferno with Canon 5D mk3!!!

I believe it only outputs interlaced and have heard it isn't "clean".

Donald McPherson May 24th, 2017 12:07 AM

You did not mention if you tried Camera HDMI to TV. (I suspect it's the cable) I have the T3i to Atomos for "clean" I have also Magic Lantern installed in Canon.

Gary Huff May 24th, 2017 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco (Post 1932569)
I believe it only outputs interlaced and have heard it isn't "clean".

That's not true. The Mark II, yes, it outputs an interlaced signal. The Mark III outputs 24p.

Christopher Young May 24th, 2017 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Adams (Post 1932568)
Problem is the Shogun doesn’t seem to accept the HDMI signal from the camera? The camera’s firmware is up-to-date (so clean uncompressed HDMI output) but the Shogun can’t see it. I’ve been through all the Shogun and 5D menus to see if I have to set anything manually,

Wonder if it is the same issue as happened with the NanoFlash a few years back. The Nano would accept "Legal" 16-235 video levels over HDMI but would not see 0-255 levels. The Canon 5D is an 8-bit 0-255 level out from memory.

What was the other source you tried out successfully? Do you know what its output levels were?

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Mike Adams May 24th, 2017 02:12 PM

HEAD SLAP!

Fixed it! Just in case anyone else needs to plug an antique camera (tongue-in-cheek) into a Shogun Flame, make sure you drop the HDMI version from 2.0 to 1.4 in the input menu.

Thanks for the responses. Yeah the mk3 (UK model) outputs 50i or 24p.

Mike

Mike Adams May 24th, 2017 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald McPherson (Post 1932582)
... for "clean" I have also Magic Lantern installed in Canon.

Out of interest, how do you rate Magic Lantern. I've toyed with it a couple of times, but never summoned the courage to install it. The warning on their website that it might brick your camera put me off!

Donald McPherson May 25th, 2017 02:45 AM

I'm far from qualified to tell you. But one thing I know. No one has permanently bricked their camera. Many people use Magic Lantern in the professional world and swear by it. Best place to check out is their magic lantern forum. If I had a 3d I would install no worries.

Gareth Watkins May 25th, 2017 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Adams (Post 1932597)
Out of interest, how do you rate Magic Lantern. I've toyed with it a couple of times, but never summoned the courage to install it. The warning on their website that it might brick your camera put me off!

Magic Lantern radically changes the camera... It opens up a huge number of features that turn the already robust 5D3 into a brilliant tool...
Proper audio meters on screen, peaking & histogram ... but most of all raw video...
If you ever found the out of the box images of the 5D a bit soft, running the raw capability gives you sharper, better quality DNG images than can be treated with Adobe Camera raw and saved out as DNxHD or Prores if you use Premiere, or treated directly in Davinci Resolve.
I find they cut together really well with C100 footage.

I think without ML I'd have dropped the 5D for video long ago.
cheers
Gareth

Mike Adams May 25th, 2017 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gareth Watkins (Post 1932611)
Magic Lantern radically changes the camera... It opens up a huge number of features that turn the already robust 5D3 into a brilliant tool...
Proper audio meters on screen, peaking & histogram ... but most of all raw video...
If you ever found the out of the box images of the 5D a bit soft, running the raw capability gives you sharper, better quality DNG images than can be treated with Adobe Camera raw and saved out as DNxHD or Prores if you use Premiere, or treated directly in Davinci Resolve.
I find they cut together really well with C100 footage.

I think without ML I'd have dropped the 5D for video long ago.
cheers
Gareth

Hmmm - I think that might be my weekend sorted! ;oD

Donald McPherson May 25th, 2017 11:56 PM

As I said earlier, highly recommend their forum for tips and advice if needed.

Gareth Watkins May 26th, 2017 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Adams (Post 1932637)
Hmmm - I think that might be my weekend sorted! ;oD

I recommend Andrew Reid's EOSHD guide to ML Raw... Oh and you'll need a high spec card.. I use the Lexar 128gb x1000.

cheers
Gareth

Mike Adams May 26th, 2017 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gareth Watkins (Post 1932646)
I recommend Andrew Reid's EOSHD guide to ML Raw... Oh and you'll need a high spec card.. I use the Lexar 128gb x1000.

cheers
Gareth

I'll check it out - thanks. Funnily enough I've just read through 'Protoltype' comparison doc linked from the ML forum. I'm currently running with Extreme Pro 160MB/s UDMA7's.

Mike Adams May 26th, 2017 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald McPherson (Post 1932644)
As I said earlier, highly recommend their forum for tips and advice if needed.

Bookmarked!