Do all of the Atomos Recorders Share the Same Drive Caddys? at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun

Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
HD-SDI field recorders supporting a variety of codecs.

Old August 25th, 2017, 10:09 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Do all of the Atomos Recorders Share the Same Drive Caddys?

Hi all:

I have owned and used a Ninja Blade for almost three years now, it is one of the easiest to use, most reliable and innovative pieces of gear I have ever owned, I am very happy with it. Moving into the 4k world now though, I will be renting and probably eventually buy a Ninja Inferno for my Canon C200 since it looks as if the upcoming XF-AVC firmware update will offer no image, bit-rate or data rate improvements over the existing .MP4s.

Assuming I am using approved drives (Samsung EVO 850s) in my Blade, can the same drive caddys be used in the Ninja Inferno? Do you have to reformat the drive from the Blade to use with the Ninja Inferno, then reformat again when you go back to using it with the Blade?
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2017, 11:12 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Do all of the Atomos Recorders Share the Same Drive Caddys?

I'm not 100% on this, but my older Ninja Blade caddy design doesn't fit into the Shogun. If you switched to the newer Caddy II design, they would work in both.
Old August 26th, 2017, 01:14 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Haustein View Post
I'm not 100% on this, but my older Ninja Blade caddy design doesn't fit into the Shogun. If you switched to the newer Caddy II design, they would work in both.
Good to know Nate, thanks for your post. I was hoping they were interchangeable but that is too much to ask in 2017, it seems like manufacturers just change stuff for the sake of changing stuff. So I'll have to have two sets of caddys.
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2017, 04:33 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Well, if you're renting, chances are the Inferno will come with at least one caddy - and if they're a friendly rental place, they might give you a few more if you ask. Where I am, if you rent a camera it comes with the media to record onto as well, so I assume a monitor/recorder would have the same in the pack.

Then if/when you buy your own, as far as I know they come with a caddy in the box, so just mark which caddy is for which monitor and you're good to go.
Nick Haman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun

« Ninja Blade | New Posts | - »