Blade Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun

Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
HD-SDI field recorders supporting a variety of codecs.

Old March 26th, 2014, 02:15 PM   #1
Major Player

Blade Question

So much like Billy Steinberg, most of my work is done out of a mobile production truck. My question is is has anyone had success with editing stuff in an NLE and exporting it back to a Blade for playback? I know they record in either ProRes or Avid DNxHD but is it possible to export a sequence as such and play it back through the blade?
Mark Koha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 12:10 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Blade Question

Anyone? This is a first for me. Someone here always has the answer I'm looking for.
Old April 14th, 2014, 05:06 AM   #3
Trustee

In a word yes Mark. At least with DNxHD, I'm on Windoz 7.

I had a Blade caddy plugged into the Atomos PC dock and just rendered part of a time line as DNxHD to the drive in the caddy. Pulled the Blade caddy, plugged it back into the Blade, went play and it was a beautiful thing. First time I had no audio so second time around I defined the audio as 48,000Hz 16bit uncompressed and it all worked fine... useful!

Maybe one of the Apple boys can confirm with ProRes?

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 08:14 AM   #4
Major Player

I'm a windows guy too so DNxHD works for me. So I guess the next question is is I'm using Premiere. What's the best way to make a DNxHD file from there?
Old April 16th, 2014, 09:53 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Koha View Post
I'm a windows guy too so DNxHD works for me. So I guess the next question is is I'm using Premiere. What's the best way to make a DNxHD file from there?
CTRL+M and choose DNxHD MXF OP1a from the Format drop down in the Export Settings dialogue? Try a couple of flavours which match the sequence settings closely and see which works best?
I don't have my Ninja Blade with me right now, but please do share your findings. Happy to research with you: I will need to be doing this too in a couple of weeks.
Mark Morreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 10:41 AM   #6
Trustee

Can't advise on Premiere. To render DNxHD in Vegas you just have to install the freely available, from the Avid site, DNxHD codecs and install them on your Windows box. SD and HD DNxHD flavours are now available for selection in the 'render as' dialogue window.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Old April 17th, 2014, 05:35 PM   #7
Inner Circle

You *must* export DNxHD via QuickTime in a .MOV container out of Premiere if you want it to playback in a Blade.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2014, 10:02 AM   #8
Major Player

So in the export settings menu, I'm going to select Format: QuickTime and towards the bottom I select Video Codec: Avid DNxHD correct? What about the audio codec? My options are uncompressed, AAC, Apple Lossless, IMA 4:1, Qualcomm Purevoice, and iLBC.
Old April 19th, 2014, 07:00 AM   #9
Trustee

Uncompressed worked for me... plus it's the best quality.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Old April 24th, 2014, 01:43 PM   #10
Major Player

Alright, I pulled the trigger and ordered one. Now for the waiting game.
Old June 3rd, 2014, 04:57 PM   #11
Major Player

So I finally got my Samurai Blade in. So far I have yet to be able to play back a file on it. I am exporting as DNxHD with uncompressed audio in a Quicktime format. Every time I go to play it back it actually locks the Blade up. The touch screen stops responding and I have to restart it. Any ideas?
Old June 3rd, 2014, 11:37 PM   #12
Trustee

Just tried here. Exported 10-bit 1080 50i DNxHD at 220-mbit under the QuickTime render option with uncompressed audio from a Sony Vegas 13 timeline and it plays back fine on the Blade. What DNxHD settings are you using?

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Old June 13th, 2014, 12:23 PM   #13
Major Player

I've tried a couple different clips with 1080i at 59.whatever frames 10 bit and uncompressed audio. The clips are showing up in the playback menu of the blade but I am unable to get them to play. When I press on them just nothing happens.
Old June 14th, 2014, 04:18 AM   #14
Trustee

What software are you creating your DNxHD files with? If they conform to the DNxHD specs correctly they should play. Unless of course there is a problem with with your unit. Just curious are you using HDD or SDD for theses tests?

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Last edited by Christopher Young; June 14th, 2014 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Typo!
Old June 14th, 2014, 01:37 PM   #15
Major Player

I'm using one of the Sandisk SSD's that they recommended on their website and I am using Premiere Pro CS6 to do this with. I'm on the road right now but I was going to try and see if I could make it work with Avid when I get back home. It seems incredibly weird to me that the clips show up in the menu but they can't be played. And I also have the latest firmware installed.
Mark Koha is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun