SR7 manual shutter control at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old October 31st, 2007, 12:27 PM   #1
New Boot

SR7 manual shutter control

From camcorderinfo.com

"Shutter Speed
The SR7 does have the SR1 and UX1 beat in one department, and that’s shutter speed. While the latter two models are missing a critical manual control, the SR7 is capable of shutter speed adjustment operated by the cam control dial."

After talking to sony tech support and searching through everything, there is flat out NO option to adjust shutter speed.

I wasted money on this because of the wrong information provided by camcorderinfo.com and every other website claiming this camera lets you adjust the shutter speed.
Davo Abear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 01:05 PM   #2
Regular Crew

camcorderinfo

In my opinion (opinion only) camcorderinfo seems like a bit of a loose cannon as of late. They messed you up, and their report of the stuttering of the Canon HG10 caused me to delay purchase, and may still be keeping others from purchasing it.

I also feel that several other reviewers are simply rehashing what they've read at camcorderinfo, not actually reviewing the devices thoroughly themselves. This was evident with several reports of the HG10 stuttering (which we're still testing, but I believe it is configuration dependent and not a failing of the cam itself) and now your report of several reviews concurring with camcorderinfo that the SR7 has a shutter control when it doesn't.

What's up with that?

mike@slavis.com
Mike Slavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 01:53 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Find and download the manual before you buy is the best bet to find out exactly what a camcorder can do. Frankly, other than early pictures, at times, I don't believe a word from camcorderinfo, just too biased and unreliable. I have a SR7 that i like a lot.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 04:39 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Camcorderinfo is about as reliable as the nightly weather report IMO...

The advice to download manuals from the Mfr site is a good one, they may not be 100%, but they are more likely to be accurate. And if there's a specific feature, you can at least examine what the manufacturer says.

That's not to say that the manufacturer will always be right, I've had some interesting moments with Sony support - and some less than accurate info along the way - currently trying to figure out some issues with a CX7 and 4 and 8GB Sony memory sticks and Vegas... all are different departments, and these things aren't talking to each other as expected...

As for Camcorderinfo, well, let's say that they panned the FX7, the V1, and the HC7, and all have been excellent cameras for many on these boards, myself included (not the V1, but the others...).

They practically drooled over the HV20, and while it's a nice camera, the HC7 is in many ways far superior if you actually take a few minutes to learn to use it. 24P in a "toy" package just didn't knock me out, and I can get equal low light from my HC7 with adjustments and get 24p in post.

CI made it sound like the HC7 was horrid and the HV20 was the best thing since sliced bread... guess everyone has their biases or whatever, but when it results in inaccurate "reporting" it's sort of irresponsible if you ask me.

Then again, I take "news" as just an extension of the other entertainment, and think for myself... safer that way!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion