CX7 and LANC controller - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old December 28th, 2007, 12:52 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Hi Roger -

The audio out shouldn't be a big deal... but I may have hit a snag - seems the A/V cables (at least the Chinese one I sacrificed for R&D) have a different wiring configuration than the stub cables of the sport packs... and there's no part # for that cable - going to keep trying though. May be looking at having these made at one of the Chinese factories that make the copy A/V cables

The more I research this, the more interesting the A/V jack becomes, and the more frustrating it is accessing all it can do! The challenge is that it's all hidden behind that proprietary sony jack!!!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 05:06 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Huebbe View Post
I tried cutting up one of my own a/v plugs and the pins are so tiny. A completed a/v plug with a lanc jack on one end would be great to have.
John -

Did you cut up one of the OEM Sony A/V cables that come with the cameras? If so, how many leads were in the sheath? I've hit a dead end in that the cable I used to make my adapter uses the lead from a scrapped Sony sport pack, and they have NO part # or availability from Sony...

I had hoped that the Chinese cheap-o copies of the VMC-FS15 (the Sony A/V cable) would work, but they have 7 leads, and are not correctly configured to allow for modification. The HCA cable has 7 leads too, but to different pins!!

I'm trying to avoid hacking one of my A/V cables if someone else can tell me what's inside <wink> - if there are 10 leads, and the 10 pins on the A/V plug can be accessed individually, I can use that for the adapters... expensive, since the Sony OEM part is not cheap, but I'll supply plans and the remaining parts are less than $1... and some soldering.

Let me know what you found when you dissected your cable?
Old December 29th, 2007, 10:35 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
John -

Did you cut up one of the OEM Sony A/V cables that come with the cameras? If so, how many leads were in the sheath? I've hit a dead end in that the cable I used to make my adapter uses the lead from a scrapped Sony sport pack, and they have NO part # or availability from Sony...

I had hoped that the Chinese cheap-o copies of the VMC-FS15 (the Sony A/V cable) would work, but they have 7 leads, and are not correctly configured to allow for modification. The HCA cable has 7 leads too, but to different pins!!

I'm trying to avoid hacking one of my A/V cables if someone else can tell me what's inside <wink> - if there are 10 leads, and the 10 pins on the A/V plug can be accessed individually, I can use that for the adapters... expensive, since the Sony OEM part is not cheap, but I'll supply plans and the remaining parts are less than $1... and some soldering.

Let me know what you found when you dissected your cable?
I used a Sony cable. The plug has 10 tiny pins that go through the plug and come out the back where all of the cables get soldiered to.

I've uploaded some photos of the plug.
Front:
http://www.321govideo.com/plug3.jpg

Back:
http://www.321govideo.com/plug1.jpg

Cables:
http://www.321govideo.com/plug2.jpg

From the photos you can see the front has the 10 pins and the back has the 10 pins that flatten out. The inside of the sony cable has 5 tiny black wires and a ground wire. They were connected to the pins. 4 of the pins were not connected to any wires. So, I had to hack up my plug and disconnect everything, then try to connect some bare wire to the correct pins. I unfortunetly couldn't get mine to work. I think I either misread the pinout or have a bad connection.

The sony cable was extremely difficult to get apart. There was this waxy substance over everything.
Old December 29th, 2007, 02:34 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Thanks John!

I was thinking you'd just cut a cable <wink> Never contemplated tearing the actual plug apart, very helpful to see though! I guess this proves that anything put together CAN be taken apart...

If only I knew who was making this special plug, I'd be set! It's critical that the RIGHT pins are connected, and you've confirmed that the standard cable wiring is incorrect for the LANC adapter...

If you've still got the parts, PM me and I'll e-mail you with the correct pinouts to adapt your LANC - since you've already sacrificed to the cause as it were!
Old December 31st, 2007, 04:48 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Special thanks John!!

One trick on that "waxy substance" - it's hot melt glue... thought it looked mighty familiar from my wife's craft projects...

OK, thanks to John's inspiring my destructive urges I'm back in business - I've hacked one of the cheap Chinese A/V cables down to it's bare bones, and can access all pins as needed - now will need to devise a way to remold the cable end, and I can either modify any existing LANC, or I am working on an idea for an adapter molding that will simply "nest" inside the inset area of the camera where the A/V jack resides - it may cover the HDMI out, but I'm thinking this needs to be as compact and flush as possible for the extreme sports applications, so trying to keep that in mind as I work.

If I can't source the plugs, at least I know I can destroy cheap A/V cables to the desired end!!
Old March 13th, 2008, 06:45 PM   #21
Tourist

I'm Interested!

David,

I've been searching the web for something like this but haven't come up with anything. Are you still trying to make these to sell?

I would like to get one for a Sony DCR-SR85. The plug would need to have the LANC control and still have the video out. I don't really care about the audio. If you can make it with the audio that would be fine too.

THANKS!
Andrew Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 04:42 PM   #22
Tourist

LANC adaptor

Hi,
I am also wondering if you ever managed to produce these for sale....if you did, I would for sure buy a CX7 LANC adaptor....let me know.
Thanks!
Daniel Viney
Daniel Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 12:12 AM   #23
Tourist

Any news on these LANC adaptors??? I ordered a few A/V cables off of ebay that I may try to hack. David, are you going to make some of these to sell or can I get the DIY plans and try it myself?
Old May 23rd, 2008, 10:46 PM   #24
Tourist

Any update on these cables?
Old July 6th, 2008, 06:47 PM   #25
HDV Cinema

What we want is ALMOST already being made, but very expensive.

http://www.digideep.com/english/info...pin-connector/

Don't know why they say a video IN jack unless it's for an HDV camcorder.

Also way too big for an in-line LANC solution.

Since the SR series has a MIC jack -- all we need is a TINY plug and LANC female socket.
Old July 14th, 2008, 09:08 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Has anyone come up with and released a wiring diagram for the 10 pin plug to a 2.5mm jack so we can use a Lanc controller with the CX7/CX9.

Rob
Rob Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 11:16 AM   #27
Major Player

ste-fra LANC adaptor for Sony camcorders and stereoscopic video.
Serge Victorovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 02:07 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Hi Serge,

I saw that adapter the other day. A little expensive. I was thinking about getting a Sony zoom controller and cutting off the cable and adding a 2.5mm jack to it. But, from what I have been reading, you need to add a resistor between two wire. I was wondering if anyone knew exactly how to do this. I am good with a soldering iron and have made my own adapters before.

Rob
Old July 30th, 2008, 09:28 AM   #29
Regular Crew

I just saw on the Studio 1 Productions website ( http://www.studio1productions.com ) they now have an adapter cable for the LANC controls that convert from 2.5 mm to a 10 pin 'D" connecter. The cable is a little expensive, but they do have an explanation of why it is $69.

I have to say, I built my own and it ran me about $50, but that does not include any labor cost.

Here is what I did. I bought a RM-AV2 for $39.95 + $8.75 for shipping. I then bought the 100k ohm resistors and a couple of 2.5 mm female jacks. One note here, the 2.5 mm jack has to have a large enough plastic casing on it so you can put the resistor inside. My total cost for everything came to $51.13 including tax. So I guess with Studio 1 charging $69 for one is not too bad.

Rob
Old July 31st, 2008, 11:48 AM   #30
Regular Crew

I made a mistake on the price of the Lanc Adapter cable from Studio 1 Productions, it is $59.00

Rob
Rob Taylor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion