AVCHD with 24p from Panasonic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old January 9th, 2008, 06:04 AM   #1
Trustee

AVCHD with 24p from Panasonic

Panasonic SD7, most importantly, it's 3CCD. No rolling shutter.

http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/v...ducts/hdc-sd9/
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 06:17 AM   #2
Trustee

they put 17Mbps mode, too. wow. and real 5ch mics (discrete!) unlike Sony advertising recording 4ch and mixing in software "is" 5.1(of course not).
I wonder what kind of scheme panasonic uses to create the ".1" (LFE) though.

I'm going to order this today. It will be out end of January, so watch for me posting clips.
Old January 9th, 2008, 08:32 AM   #3
Trustee

http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/v...mainparts.html

good, it looks like it has auto/manual focus switch. But how does it control focus now? With the little joystick? Anyone with SD5 probably can answer?

Edit:I found a review
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...l-Controls.htm

So, it is by the joystick. Hmmm.
Old January 9th, 2008, 09:22 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks Kaku -- perhaps the time has come for us to separate specific AVCHD camera manufacturers into their own dedicated sub-forums (Panasonic, Sony, Canopn etc.).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 10:28 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Thanks Kaku -- perhaps the time has come for us to separate specific AVCHD camera manufacturers into their own dedicated sub-forums (Panasonic, Sony, Canopn etc.).
I agree.

I placed a bid on Panasonic onlineshop for SD9 as "special bit deal for monitoring" which is how I got the DVC30 while ago. I bid with 20% discounted price and I hope that goes through. Otherwise, I will run and buy from Yodobashi or BicCamera on the first day.
Old January 10th, 2008, 01:36 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Kaku,

The SD9 has a focus ring. And Zebras. And HDMI out (behind the battery.) And mic in.

The US list price is $799.95 and it will be available in March or May/June. (I heard both at CES.)

I look forward to early reviews from Japan.

Compared to the HV20/HV30, the SD9 seems to have better operational features - an no rolling shutter.

My only concern is the image quality. The chips (3CCD) are only 1/6-inch, so low-light noise will be relatively high. The native resolution is 960x540, upscaled to 1080p. The 1080p frame rate is 24p only at an overall rate (with audio) of 17 mbps, AVCHD. This *should* compare well with 25 mbps HDV for 1080i60, but it depends on the implementation.

If the codec is good, and the noise acceptable, it will be a nice little brother for the HVX-200, when a small cam is needed.

I'll be curious to see how it looks with a lens adapter - and enough light to keep it out of the noise.

The literature claims a 5 lux minimum, and 1 lux with a special low-light processing mode.
Old January 10th, 2008, 02:31 PM   #7
Inner Circle

BTW, I didn't see or hear anything about overcranking or undercranking the SD9 or HS9 cams. Do you have any more info, Kaku?

In fact, I mentioned the high speed capture of the Casio camera and the Samsung video cam to one of the Pana guys, and he was very interested in the feature.

Both the Casio and Samsung products use CMOS sensors, and reduce the resolution at super-high speeds. I'm not sure if the 3CCD architecture would allow a similar approach.
Old January 10th, 2008, 02:50 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I couldn't find anything about overcranking either, unless you were referring to its 60i function. This looks to be a fantastic camera.
Gerald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 03:19 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Where are you guys seeing a mic input on the SD9? Panasonic only lists an AV OUT:

http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/v...mainparts.html
Old January 10th, 2008, 05:21 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Johnston View Post
Where are you guys seeing a mic input on the SD9? Panasonic only lists an AV OUT:
Good find. At CES I was told that this was a mic input. (But memories can be faulty. I remembered it as being at the back of the camera...) I specifically asked about the mic input, given that is one of the limitations of some consumer cams.

Frankly, I would be terribly surprised if this isn't also a mic input. The GS series of SD cams has a mic input. This cam ups the ante by adding zebras and true 24p mode (as compared to the 30p frame mode of the GS500.)

One warning about the focus ring. Our GS500 has a ring, but it's not 100% repeatable. It controls a servo and is speed sensitive, so if you pull between two points the angle of the ring might change a few degrees between pulls. I don't know if this is improved on the SD9 and HS9 cams.

Still, the focus ring in the GS500 is usable. Most of the competition uses little finger wheels, which are good for static focus only.

So, no guarantees, but I'd bet money that the cam includes a mic input.
Old January 10th, 2008, 06:49 PM   #11
Major Player

I don't see a focus ring either... Does it have a filter thread at least?
Eugenia Loli-Queru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 06:56 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugenia Loli-Queru View Post
I don't see a focus ring either... Does it have a filter thread at least?
It definitely has a focus ring. I spun it. And it's definitely a servo, rather than mechanical focus. It spins freely. Just like the GS500. I spoke with a Pana representative who really liked the GS400 multifunction ring (focus, zoom and exposure), so he was definitely knowledgeable about the topic.

As for the threads, I believe that they are on the black plastic inside of the ring. I don't know the size.
Old January 10th, 2008, 08:39 PM   #13
Trustee

Ha! I though the focus is the joystick one. If it does have focus ring, gawd it brakes the trend of not giving too much controls for consumer HD cam.

The 3 second slomo is not the same fashion as P2HD cams, it's probably memory based and the same as how Sony implemented I think.

So, there's no undercranking nor freedom to choose the frame rate.
Old January 11th, 2008, 01:17 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Okay, I have the SD9 spec sheet at hand. Here are some of the important items that haven't been covered...

Power Consumption: 5.8W
Total/Effective Pixels: 560k/520k x 3
F Value: F1.8 (wide) / F2.8 (tele)
Optical Zoom: 10x
Filter Diameter: 37mm
Focal Length: 3.0 - 30.0 mm
35mm Equivalent: 42.9 - 429mm (16:9)
Shutter Speed:
- 60i: 1/60 - 1/8000
- 24p: 1/48 - 1/8000
- (In Auto Slow Shutter, it goes up to 1/30 and 1/24)
Iris: Auto / Manual
Monitor: 2.7" Wide LCD, 300,000 dots
Image Stabilizer: Advanced OIS (4,000 times/sec)
Data Rates:
- HA (17 mbps, VBR)
- HG (13 mbps, VBR)
- HX (9 mbps, VBR)
- HE (6 mbps, VBR)
Interfaces:
- AV: Out, with cable
- HDMI: Yes
- S-Video: No
- Mic: No!?!
- Headphones: No
- 1394: No
- USB: 2.0/mini AB, with cable
- Component Video: Yes, with cable
- Shoe: No
- IR Remote: Yes
-----------

The biggest surprise to me is that this also says there is no Mic input. Ouch!@! How'd they miss that? Having to buy a separate recorder kills the budget and complicates the workflow. You now need a cameraman, a boom operator AND SOMEBODY TO MANAGE THE SLATE.

I was told differently at the show. It would be nice to confirm this.

I think I will wait until NAB to learn about RED's Crimson 2K, but will probably get the SD9.

Our old Sharp DV cam and the GS500 both have mic inputs. I'm still stunned if this camera lacks that feature.
Old January 11th, 2008, 01:32 AM   #15
Inner Circle

The 3-second feature is not slo-mo. It is a still camera burst mode. You can shoot up to 72 frames at 24 fps. I assume that the shots are stored as JPEGs, rather that AVCHD video.

There is also a 3 sec pre-record feature that captures before you hit REC.

And there is a fast ON mode that is activated in 0.6 secs when you open the LCD.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion