TMPGEnc 24p pulldown removal for AVCHD - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old February 28th, 2008, 11:50 AM   #16
Major Player

Dan, after reading this, I can't help but reply. Let me know if I'm bugging you, LOL. First, it's my understanding that the SR11 does not shoot 24P, so pulldown removal with any utility does not apply to you. Second, the list of editing procedures you list is not exactly found in simple, low cost editing software; or if they are, you have to deal with certain limitations. For example, Vegas Movie Studio Platinum will do velocity envelopes (for slow motion or fast motion), but you must apply the velocity envelope to the ENTIRE CLIP on the timeline. In Vegas Pro, you can selectively edit a specific section of footage from your entire project on the timeline and apply the velocity envelope to just that section. It took me literally four hours of searching online to discover this restriction in VMS and it was a total deal-breaker for me. There are probably work-arounds, but why bother when the difference in price right now is so little.

Third, I'm confused why you're willing to spend $200-$250 on NEO HDV when Vegas Pro, right now, is actually less expensive AND includes the Cineform intermediate codec. You can always add the product later if you must have batch convert capabilities.

One other point I'll mention is that NEO HDV's max resolution is 1440 x 1080. If the SR11 does produce 1920 x 1080 video files, then in order to preserve that resolution into your intermediate, you're going to have to step up to NEO HD, which is $500-$600. Now, whether or not there would be a perceptible difference in resolution between NEO HDV and NEO HD in actual use with footage from these consumer cams, I really don't have any idea. That would be a question for Cineform to answer...
Aaron Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 12:39 AM   #17
New Boot

Aaron,
You're not bugging me - just the opposite -I feel 'm bugging you, but you have the patience to provide clear info to me that I simply don't have the background to assess for myself.
Thanks for clarifying what I need to get -Vegas 6 in order to upgrade to Vegas Pro 8, or simply VP8 to avoid the hassle.
I thought I would never need Photoshop, now I can't do without it. Probably where I'll end up with vid and Vegas.
Thanks again for the fast, helpful responses. Look out when I start trying to edit my first clips...

Edit - just found Vegas Pro v8 for $284 on EBay Express from TheNerds.com. NOT the upgrade, the full version. That price doesn't show up on TheNerds regular site - only on Ebay express...
Couldn't find a current much better combo of V6 and Upgrade 8. For $284, it's worth the convenience.

Last edited by Dan Lewandowski; February 29th, 2008 at 01:55 AM.
Dan Lewandowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 07:00 AM   #18
New Boot

Guide to Encoding WMV files from Canon HG10 24p MTS, M2TS files with WME

Hi Art, here you go. These are steps I documented for my own reference...

Props go to Mike Slavis who did all the hard work R&D'ing this stuff in another thread on this forum...

- Amit
Amit Mantri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 07:07 AM   #19
New Boot

Guide to using GraphEdit and DSFMgr to set up the correct DirectShow filters for MTS

For what it's worth, here's a guide I wrote when I was trying to figure out how to use DSFMgr and GraphEdit which are needed to have Windows use the right filters for the MTS files when doing the WME encoding.

Props to Les Dit and a bunch of others who wrote about these tools and gave me a head start....

Though it may be helpful to some newbies...I know I would have loved to have something like this :)
Amit Mantri is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion