DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   AVCHD Format Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/)
-   -   Great Forum---Now my question about HG10 or Sony SR11 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/116576-great-forum-now-my-question-about-hg10-sony-sr11.html)

Paul Fort March 8th, 2008 04:58 PM

Great Forum---Now my question about HG10 or Sony SR11

This forum is great. There is a very valuable knowledge base here.
Please forgive my ignorance.

I have been waiting for the SR11 reviews (low light performance in particular)
to come out to see how well it will do.
The camera has everything else I want so it's a simple choice for me. But the low light noise could be a deal breaker.

I really don't think it will come close to the HG10 low light performance based on the real numbers; however, Sony has claimed the software is more advanced to help reduce the signal to noise ratio ot the 3 new SR models.

Well I guess I'll have to wait some more.

I can get the SR11 for $899 at a local seller when it comes in. I can get the hg10 for $740 now

I dont fully understand the workaround for the HG10 to Vegas Movie Studio Platinium8 .MTS to .M2TS

But I really like the low light performance and would be willing to learn if the sony SR11 low light is a deal breaker.

How would I go about getting the HG10 to work with Vegas Paltinum if I even can.

Ken Ross March 8th, 2008 05:02 PM

I own an HV20 and am trying a Sony SR12. I don't know about the HG10's low light, but I'll assume it's similar to the HV20. I can tell you from my experimenting with both the SR12 & HV20 that the SR12 is at least as good as the HV20. Sony's claims are 100% on the mark, this cam is pretty good in low light!

Paul Fort March 8th, 2008 06:29 PM

sounds good

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Ross (Post 839353)
I own an HV20 and am trying a Sony SR12. I don't know about the HG10's low light, but I'll assume it's similar to the HV20. I can tell you from my experimenting with both the SR12 & HV20 that the SR12 is at least as good as the SR12. Sony's claims are 100% on the mark, this cam is pretty good in low light!

I assume you ment to say the SR12 is at leasst as good as the hv20

And if so, that just got me really excited....
I really like the manual focus selection for the front wheel of the new SR line

Ken Ross March 8th, 2008 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Fort (Post 839369)
I assume you ment to say the SR12 is at leasst as good as the hv20

And if so, that just got me really excited....
I really like the manual focus selection for the front wheel of the new SR line

Yes, I did mean to say the SR12 is at least as good as the HV20. Keep in mind that no HD cam is great in low light, but the SR12 is as good as any I've used. I'll amend my original post.

Leopold Hamulczyk March 9th, 2008 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Fort (Post 839352)

I dont fully understand the workaround for the HG10 to Vegas Movie Studio Platinium8 .MTS to .M2TS

How would I go about getting the HG10 to work with Vegas Platinum if I even can.

It works, no problems. Use Guidemenu to transfer the files from your camera to your hard drive. It renames them all .m2ts. Then Vegas Platinum 8 will read them as easily as it reads anything else. (Just make sure you have 8.0c I think it is, other wise update it to the latest update.) If you copy them manually or using HGBackup, just rename them all .m2ts instead of .mts.

Then there is the issue of the 2GB split discussed in another thread, which is only an issue if you shoot long takes.

I just find I don't like Vegas Platinum's downconversion to SD video, so I edit in HD, output Lagarith or MPEG2 (depending on how I feel), and use Procoder to downconvert to SD.

Paul Fort March 10th, 2008 10:26 AM

I have a question about the little button on the lens threads. What does that do and will I be able to attach a cokin filter system to it without affecting camera functions.

Dave Blackhurst March 10th, 2008 03:21 PM

The little button tells the camera if a lens (or filter) is attached, and disables the on cam flash, since it would be blocked by most lenses.

Paul Fort March 10th, 2008 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst (Post 840206)
The little button tells the camera if a lens (or filter) is attached, and disables the on cam flash, since it would be blocked by most lenses.

Thanks for the answer