Restrict gain to 9db on Sony Sr11/12 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old April 25th, 2008, 12:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: london UK
Posts: 170
Restrict gain to 9db on Sony Sr11/12

Got an Sr11 a couple of days ago and really liking it apart from it gaining up too much in low light, I prefer a darker more natural looking picture with less noise. I've worked out that in twilight mode the gain wont go above 9db.
__________________
www.springproductions.co.uk

Last edited by Tony Spring; April 26th, 2008 at 12:59 AM.
Tony Spring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 03:24 PM   #2
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Plainview, N.Y.
Posts: 1,944
Good info Tony.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 04:32 PM   #3
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Grass Valley, CA
Posts: 165
Just for general information, the Canon HF100 seems to also do something like this in Cine mode, based on some other posts; and on an HG10 I used once, it seems to do it in spotlight mode as well.

It would be so much nicer if they just had a "limit gain to x dB" function, but at least you can get something similar with some of the scene modes.
Dave Rosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 09:59 PM   #4
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Plainview, N.Y.
Posts: 1,944
Dave, I may be wrong, but I think the Sony won't alter the colors and 'look' in the Twilight mode like the Canon does in the cine mode. That could be significant to some.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 12:13 PM   #5
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Grass Valley, CA
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Dave, I may be wrong, but I think the Sony won't alter the colors and 'look' in the Twilight mode like the Canon does in the cine mode. That could be significant to some.
You're right, cine mode does shift the colors, gamma, etc. I'm pretty sure the spotlight mode doesn't shift the colors, however, but it does shift the exposure priority to favor non-blowing-out of highlights, which wouldn't work well for some scenes.

Most of the scene modes do shift something or the other in terms of exposure, aperture, shutter speed, or color, so if limiting the gain is all the Sony does in twilight mode, that would be pretty cool and a good thing to know.

One of the things I like about the SD9 is the full manual exposure control which lets you fix the gain, shutter, and aperture independently, but after playing around with both, I might be leaning toward the HF100 because of the better image quality - better sharpness but poorer colors actually - so many tradeoffs. Too bad there isn't a Canasonic SD100 with the best of both!
Dave Rosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 03:03 PM   #6
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Great Neck, NY
Posts: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rosky View Post
Just for general information, the Canon HF100 seems to also do something like this in Cine mode, based on some other posts; and on an HG10 I used once, it seems to do it in spotlight mode as well.

It would be so much nicer if they just had a "limit gain to x dB" function, but at least you can get something similar with some of the scene modes.
on the canons you can also lock the exposure and gain out and see when it kicks in on the hf10 turn on the photo in video mode and pressing the photo button will show you the settings f stop and shutter, the camera shutter will blink when gain is active, you can lock the exposure before the gain kicks in and have a full range of 11 clicks to go up or down in exposure and see when the gain kicks in so you can avoid that setting.

It gives you full control of gain, shutter and iris although its a bit of a work around method.
__________________
Stephen Eastwood
http://www.StephenEastwood.com
Stephen Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 09:10 PM   #7
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Grass Valley, CA
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Eastwood View Post
on the canons you can also lock the exposure and gain out and see when it kicks in on the hf10 turn on the photo in video mode and pressing the photo button will show you the settings f stop and shutter, the camera shutter will blink when gain is active, you can lock the exposure before the gain kicks in and have a full range of 11 clicks to go up or down in exposure and see when the gain kicks in so you can avoid that setting.

It gives you full control of gain, shutter and iris although its a bit of a work around method.
That's pretty cool. I guess this is the same trick people have been using on their HV20's. Is there any way to see what the gain actually is, or just if there is gain or not? When you lock it, it sounds like it does not vary the gain when you adjust it up and down. Is that the case? I guess if you are already at max aperture and min shutter, you probably don't have any down range.

Thx.
Dave Rosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 08:44 AM   #8
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Plainview, N.Y.
Posts: 1,944
I knew of that trick on my Canon HV20, but frankly it was too much of a pain to bother with. The twilight mode seems like a much easier method of limiting gain, but it sure would be nice if these companies would simply give us a gain adjustment or limiter. On my VX2100, I never allow gain to go beyond 12db.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:49 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network