DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   AVCHD Format Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/)
-   -   SR11/12 And external mics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/121312-sr11-12-external-mics.html)

Jade Maestre May 10th, 2008 08:11 AM

SR11/12 And external mics

At present I have a DVC80 camcorder which I'm really happy of the results. I can manipulate everything from video to audio. HOwever, I.m planning to buy a tapeless hdcam for family use/home videos. I read from this forum that the SR11 has a good video quality. I have a Rode VM shich i use with my Gs500 which I sold a couple of months ago. My question is, Can I use my Rode VM with the SR11 the fact that there is no audio level controls? Will the audio not be clipped since the Rode is a really sensitive mic?

Bill Koehler May 10th, 2008 08:48 PM

As far as I know, the only provision for an external mic on the newer Sony handycams is for Sony's own microphones that plug into the Active Interface Shoe.

Sony used to sell an adapter for a microphone such as yours to get your sound into the Active Interface Shoe but appears to have discontinued it.

It's a big bummer for me also. I have a Rode Stereo VideoMic.

The audio won't be clipped because this class of cameras normally run with AGC (Auto Gain Control) on the audio.
So they will rapidly adjust to the sensitivity of what you hook up. Or so it has been for me.

Dave Blackhurst May 10th, 2008 09:27 PM

The SR11/12 has a standard minijack input, as does the HC9. Haven't really had the opportunity to use it, but it should be fine...

Jade Maestre May 11th, 2008 01:45 AM

The adapter is not a problem. I found one in B&H. But what I'm worried is the clipped sound. yes, AGC helps. Does the SR11 have a level meter?

By the way, Bill Do you have the SR11/12? HOw's it with your rode stereo mic?

Bill Koehler May 15th, 2008 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jade Maestre (Post 875291)
By the way, Bill Do you have the SR11/12? How's it with your rode stereo mic?

Sorry! but I don't have any of the newer HDV/AVCHD camcorders, but rather an ancient Digital8 camcorder that allows me manual focus (focus ring) and exposure control (thumbwheel). In addition I have added a LANC controller. I find this greatly improves my ability to control the camera without disturbing it.

At the low end (<$1200) I am frustrated by how Sony is making it difficult to hook up my (old?) LANC controller. Also, for me at least, menu driven controls do not qualify as "manual controls". Instead they represent the possibility of a whole lot of shaking going on as the LCD is poked & prodded for this, that, and the other thing. Not to mention while you are poking and prodding, you can't actually see what you're shooting, which limits your ability to react to the unexpected or even track people as they move around.

Another issue I have is the consumer camcorders are getting awfully small. My hands are definitely size large. That is a problem.

YMMV.

But I sure do like my Rode Stereo VideoMic :-)