help understanding a few settings m2ts to dvd at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old May 23rd, 2008, 11:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

help understanding a few settings m2ts to dvd

Hi,
I volunteered and video taped my daughters musical for the hs so they can sell it on dvd. I used my hg10 and the footage looks fine (adequate anyway ;) )I shot 1 night in 1080i and the other in 24f. I'm trying to best set up procoder3 to transcode to mpv and then to encore or my daughters mac idvd. Anyway :

It's shot in 16:9 , when adding to the 'source' in procoder it shows the resolution as 770x540 (1/2 the 1440x1080)...WHY?

Then when I target file as dvd ntsc master, it shows 4:3. I transcoded 2 small samples in 4:3 and 16:9. Then put them in an encore project.
The 4:3 shows up smaller and bordered black all around, the 16:9 just bordered on the top and bottom. I'm getting confused
what I need is a formula for the largest best looking,most generally compatable regardless if families have a 16:9 hdtv or crt 4:3.

-What would you suggest for the procoder source setting (16:9 or 4:3)?field order only shows source upper field as an option? I know target for dvd this is ok, but for ntsc source? and again why the info showing 1/2 resolution?

-What target settings? should I leave dvd mastering default at 4:3 or change to 16:9?

-then in encore or idvd do you think a 4:3 or 16:9 project would be better. most compatible first priority, then best largest looking. if its bigger and that much better maybe 16:9 and assume most dvd players will be able to give options for 4:3 display?

I originally ran thru cineform hdlink-->avi --> premiere procs3 to edit . I exported cineform at 16:9 (1.2 par) with 8:5 frame ratio. I still saw 1/2 resolution and 4:3 with 1:1 pixel ratio as source in procoder? I changed the source setting to ntsc d1 16:9 in procoder. The 1440x1080 cineform looked ok, but exporting to 480i or p didn't look good even before procoder like looking thru subtle vertical distorted shower glass. With as little editing as needs to be done I think just straight thru from m2ts to procoder will be best (and smaller!)with a little trimming and stitching later.

Thanks for your patience,
Jack
Jack Laurie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion