Sony SR11 hdmi out only 720? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old June 18th, 2008, 10:55 PM   #1
New Boot

Sony SR11 hdmi out only 720?

Hi all,

I bought a Sony SR11 a few weeks ago after reading a lot on your forums. I didn't want to go with a camera that had a hard drive at first, but I felt it was the best camera I could buy for my needs.

I don't own an HDTV, but tried to look on a Play Station 3 at my cousin's house on a 1080p screen, and I was really pleased with the quality, as long as there was enough light while shooting.

As I said, I don't have an HDTV, but I have a monitor on my computer that does 1920x1200 (an excellent NEC 2490 that I bought mainly to edit photographic images). Unfortunately, the monitor doesn't have an HDMI input. I didn't know if it would work properly, but decided to buy a cheap HDMI to DVI converter. Here's what I bought (sorry for the links to a vendor, but I think it will be easier for you to answer my question if you know exactly what I bought):

3FT Mini-HDMI (Type C) to HDMI (Type A) Specification 1.3a 30AWG Cable
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

DVI-D single link Male to HDMI Female adapter
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

It works, but only outputs the image in 720 (i or p, I'm not sure) and not in 1080i as I wanted. I've checked in the menu and made sure every option for output was set to 1080i (although it only looks like the component output is using the option???) So here's my question:

Does the SR-11 from Sony only has an output in 720i (or 720p) when using HDMI or is it my cheap adapter that is to blame?

Carl
Carl Robitaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 10:59 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Does the PS3 spec support 1080i.

I thought PS3 only supports progressive modes of HD.

Am I wrong? I'm not sure, I don't own one.
Old June 18th, 2008, 11:26 PM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pietro Impagliazzo View Post
Does the PS3 spec support 1080i.

I thought PS3 only supports progressive modes of HD.

Am I wrong? I'm not sure, I don't own one.
All I did was copy the 1080i video on the PS3 and it played fine. Did the PS3 deinterlace the video to send it in 1080p or was it sent to the TV as 1080i, I couldn't say.

Carl
Old June 19th, 2008, 06:14 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Carl, the SR11 outputs 1080i from the HDMI. IF you get the Sony Browser software to make an AVCHD disc on a normal DVD then it will play on the PS3 and playback over PS3 HDMI as 1080i. The other interesting thing is that the HDMI link between the Sony SR11 and Panasonic initiates the HDMI control as well. In other words switching the camera on while connected to my Panasonic Plasma will switch the Panasonic to the correct HDMI input. IF I switch the Panasonic off it will switch off the camera too.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 09:35 PM   #5
New Boot

Good adaptor for HDMI to DVI in 1080i?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
Hi Carl, the SR11 outputs 1080i from the HDMI. IF you get the Sony Browser software to make an AVCHD disc on a normal DVD then it will play on the PS3 and playback over PS3 HDMI as 1080i.
Thanks Ron for the clarification. It must be my adaptor that forces the 720 mode then.

Anybody knows a good adaptor from HDMI to DVI-D or DVI-I that could be used to connect the SR-11 to my monitor (1920x1200) in 1080i (or 1080p, but then it's more than an adapter ;-)
Old July 7th, 2008, 05:08 AM   #6
Inner Circle

The PS3 can on the fly convert 1080i to 1080p to the HDMI out. Although to see it in the correct aspect ratio, your 1920x1200 monitor must support 1:1 pixel mapping for 1920x1080.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 05:54 AM   #7
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Robitaille View Post
Thanks Ron for the clarification. It must be my adaptor that forces the 720 mode then.

Anybody knows a good adaptor from HDMI to DVI-D or DVI-I that could be used to connect the SR-11 to my monitor (1920x1200) in 1080i (or 1080p, but then it's more than an adapter ;-)
I think the issue is more likely to be that your monitor won't accept an interlaced signal via it's DVI input. Computer monitors are usually designed to accept a progressive signal from a computer, and so have no need (unlike TVs) to include de-interlacing technology to allow them to support input from an interlaced signal. I don't have the specs for your monitor, but a quick google found a reference to someone else commenting that the monitor doesn't support 1080i.

What's likely to be happening is that even though your SR11 is set to 1080i output, the digital connection allows the SR11 to 'negotiate' the best resolution available from the monitor which it looks like is 720p.
Will Cowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 04:00 PM   #8
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Cowling View Post
What's likely to be happening is that even though your SR11 is set to 1080i output, the digital connection allows the SR11 to 'negotiate' the best resolution available from the monitor which it looks like is 720p.
Makes sense. Thanks for the answer.
Carl Robitaille is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion