sr12- burn to DVD-R & BDR at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old July 20th, 2008, 12:17 PM   #1
New Boot

sr12- burn to DVD-R & BDR

I have a new Sony Sr-12 shooting in full HD.

I see that these files are .M2ts

As said by most, the bundled software is terrible, even though I really dont want to edit.

I want to burn what I capture onto DVDRs and BDRs in full quality to watch on some sort of dvd player.

I also want to be able to convert my HD footage to SD definition to burn onto regular DVDRs for family (who do not own HD player DVDs).

How do I go about doing this?
I have an LG BluRay writer.

Thanks a lot.
Saif Faris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 03:47 PM   #2
New Boot

The Sony supplied software (Picture Motion Browser) has the ability to combine clips and create a AVCHD disk on standard DVDs (single layer and dual layer). If you don't need to edit the footage, this process works very well. You are very limited in what you can do regarding menus, etc., but for the basics, it's not bad. It will also output SD DVD disks.
Phil Seastrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 04:05 PM   #3
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Seastrand View Post
The Sony supplied software (Picture Motion Browser) has the ability to combine clips and create a AVCHD disk on standard DVDs (single layer and dual layer).
I see you have a BD burner. Look at the Picture Browser and see IF it will burn AVCHD to BD disks. The value of BD is you can put hours of video on a single disk. Also, when you put AVCHD on a BD rather than red-laser disc, I suspect more BD players will play it.

PS: is Picture Motion Browser the software you hate? If it is, I guess you don't want go this path. :) But, you might want to tale a second look at Picture Motion Browser because if you don't use it, you'll need to buy something that might not meet your needs either.
Old July 20th, 2008, 09:14 PM   #4
New Boot

yes PMB is terrible. It wont do what it says. After using Sony utility software (from the bundled software) to transfer clips from the cam to my PC, it asked if I would like to analyze them(clips), I did but it did not successuly anaylze them, and no error report either. I was able to convert (through PMB) an .m2ts file to MPEG-2 and anaylze it.

Im willing to pay money for software that will allow me to:

1-Burn my footage onto DVD-R via SDV for non-HD players.
2-Burn my capture onto DVD-R & BD-R in HDV to play in HD players.

Im not interested in editing too much.
Saif Faris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 09:14 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saif Faris View Post
yes PMB is terrible. It wont do what it says. After using Sony utility software (from the bundled software) to transfer clips from the cam to my PC, it asked if I would like to analyze them(clips), I did but it did not successuly anaylze them, and no error report either. I was able to convert (through PMB) an .m2ts file to MPEG-2 and anaylze it.

Im willing to pay money for software that will allow me to:

1-Burn my footage onto DVD-R via SDV for non-HD players.
2-Burn my capture onto DVD-R & BD-R in HDV to play in HD players.

Im not interested in editing too much.
What did you expect the analyze to do? I have had Sony SR7 and now SR11 and the Sony software will do what you want on normal disc but not BD discs and in AVCHD not HDV. IT is a little weird and slow but does work. You will need a fast computer to make this work. There is a disc icon on the menu bar at the top. When pressed it will lead you through making either an SD DVD or an AVCHD disc. Place a disc in your drive and as you add clips you will get an indication of how you are filling up the disc. In the edit part you can trim clips and in adding to the disc can change the order etc. It will give you a choice of several simple menus, using start of each clip as chapter mark, and then you can burn the disc. The SD DVD will play on normal players and the AVCHD discs on Blu-Ray players.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion