DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   AVCHD Format Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/)
-   -   Please help me decide. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/126808-please-help-me-decide.html)

Jade Maestre July 28th, 2008 03:33 AM

Please help me decide.

I'm ready to buy a HD camcorder but until now I can't decide between the SR11 and the JVC HD7. I love manual controls and at the same time I'm also concern of the image quality. I read from this how good the SR11 and the same time watch good videos of the HD7 in vimeo. I think Steve Mullen can help me since he has both the SR11 & HD7. My goal is to buy a HD camcorder within this week.

thanks
jade

Kaushik Parmar July 28th, 2008 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jade Maestre (Post 912705)
I'm ready to buy a HD camcorder but until now I can't decide between the SR11 and the JVC HD7. I love manual controls and at the same time I'm also concern of the image quality. I read from this how good the SR11 and the same time watch good videos of the HD7 in vimeo. I think Steve Mullen can help me since he has both the SR11 & HD7. My goal is to buy a HD camcorder within this week.

thanks
jade

Jade Maestre,

I am proude owner of HD7, I am using it since last one year and more! I am fully satisfied with it! It is stunning performer! Solid colour producer! It has 3CCD, 60GB, Fujinon lens, and those manual controls & focusing ring!

And if you like Sony SR11 then go for SR12.

But you will not disappoint if you buy HD7.

You have seen already HD7's videos, here is my link if you would like to see my videos: http://www.vimeo.com/user318721

Kaushik

Jade Maestre July 28th, 2008 07:50 AM

Kaushik, Do you think my pentium D 3.2 ghz, 3gig ram computer can edit TOD files? BY the way I have Sony Vegas 8. Have you tried converting TOD files to AVi? How long will it take for an hour of tod files to be converted to AVI?

Steve Mullen July 28th, 2008 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jade Maestre (Post 913132)
Kaushik, Do you think my pentium D 3.2 ghz, 3gig ram computer can edit TOD files? BY the way I have Sony Vegas 8. Have you tried converting TOD files to AVi? How long will it take for an hour of tod files to be converted to AVI?

The nice thing about Vegas, EDIUS, and iMovie 08 is there is no need CONVERT tod files. Just move them from camera to your computer and then import.

HD7 vs SR11: This week I plan to do a comparison. I have no doubt the Sony will do better in low light.

However, my main problem with the the HD7 is it has "red push" on skin tones that require color correction. My hope was the Sony would not. But, it does. It just has less. So I still have to color correct for the best results. :(

The real issue is compute power for AVCHD. All the software companies say you MUST have a 2.66GHz QUAD core computer -- minimum. They are correct. (And, Pinnacle and Cyberlink are VERY slow compared to Vegas.)

With EDIUS, you convert to their HQ codec -- which you can edit on a slower machine. Converting takes a LONG time and lots of disk space. (You must convert using any Apple editors.)

So it comes down to what computer you own. I'm going to be trying-out my new Sony VAIO this week. It has a 2.5GHz DUAL core. Maybe Vegas will be able to at least smoothly play half-speed. (EDIUS should be fine -- after you wait several hours for the conversion to be done.)

Kaushik Parmar July 28th, 2008 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jade Maestre (Post 913132)

I am afraid why you need to convert them in to AVI? Supplied PowerDirector software will convert .TOD files in to MPEG2, and if you buy new PowerDirector 7 then you do not need to convert .TOD files in to MPEG2, you can direct import them for editing!

Kaushik

Steve Mullen July 28th, 2008 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaushik Parmar (Post 913482)
I am afraid why you need to convert them in to AVI? Supplied PowerDirector software will convert .TOD files in to MPEG2, and if you buy new PowerDirector 7 then you do not need to convert .TOD files in to MPEG2, you can direct import them for editing!

Kaushik

He said he uses Vegas.

Jade Maestre July 29th, 2008 05:03 AM

Are you suggesting that .TOD files are easier to edit in slower computers than AVCHD? If that's the case then maybe I will go with the HD7. Am I right. By the way the HD7 is cheaper than the SR11. Steve do you accept Paypal international if I purchase the electronic handbook you made either the SR11 or Hd7? Please your input will really guide me in buying the right camcorder based on the specs of my computer. I need to buy an HD camcorder at least two days from now.

Jade Maestre July 29th, 2008 05:06 AM

Kaushik. Iwant to convert Tod files to AVI because it easier to edit in Vegas and by the way I'm planning to SD DVD's. So I think MPEG file is too compress and when you edit MPEGs the image quality will be affected. By the way thats my own idea. Let's try to hear from the experts.

Jade Maestre July 29th, 2008 05:08 AM

Are you suggesting that .TOD files are easier to edit in slower computers than AVCHD? If that's the case then maybe I will go with the HD7. Am I right. By the way the HD7 is cheaper than the SR11. Steve do you accept Paypal international if I purchase the electronic handbook you made either the SR11 or Hd7? Please your input will really guide me in buying the right camcorder based on the specs of my computer. I need to buy an HD camcorder at least two days from now.

Steve Mullen July 29th, 2008 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jade Maestre (Post 913616)
Kaushik. Iwant to convert Tod files to AVI because it easier to edit in Vegas and by the way I'm planning to SD DVD's. So I think MPEG file is too compress and when you edit MPEGs the image quality will be affected. By the way thats my own idea. Let's try to hear from the experts.

AVI is a wrapper not a codec. Quality never gets better being converted. So, you should stay with TOD files.

Unless you have a 2.66GHz QUAD core Intel based computer -- don't even think about AVCHD.

PS: Paypal accepted for both my SR11 and HD7 eBooks.

Jade Maestre July 29th, 2008 07:26 PM

Thanks Steve. I don't know if this is good news or bad news. I just won a SR11 on ebay 4 hours ago for 875 US dollars. Despite the fact, that I have only a Pentium D 3.2 GHZ 3 gig ram computer. By the way my next step is to buy your SR11 handbook when I receive my new SR11 camcorder. Maybe I will ffind ways how to convert AVCHD files to Mpeg or avi and then edit in Vegas. Steve. do you think It's Ok to just open an avchd file in vegas and render as avi? How long will an hour of avchd files takes to be converted to avi? Maybe you will wonder why I talk about converting. The reason is I don't plan to snake HD dvd's, I only plan to make SD dvd's. and I heard that HD converted to SD will have a better quality.

Jack Zhang July 29th, 2008 07:44 PM

There's always Cineform to loosen your processor load. Editing intermediate is easier than editing the raw AVCHD files.

Kaushik Parmar July 29th, 2008 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jade Maestre (Post 913616)

Jade Maestre,

I have made so many DVDs since I do not have Blue-Ray burner, and I watch my DVDs in my projector connected with HDMI cable, and result is very good. Just we have to make HQ DVDs so it will give us average 8MB/PS.

I do not see any clarity loses if I use converted MPEG2 files, however now I do have PowerDirector 7 which support .TOD files, so I will compile new DVD by using .TOD files and see if result is same or better

Kaushik

Jade Maestre July 30th, 2008 12:08 AM

Thanks Kaushik & Jack for your input.

Jade Maestre July 30th, 2008 12:09 AM

Steve. I don't know if this is good news or bad news. I just won a SR11 on ebay 4 hours ago for 875 US dollars. Despite the fact, that I have only a Pentium D 3.2 GHZ 3 gig ram computer. By the way my next step is to buy your SR11 handbook when I receive my new SR11 camcorder. Maybe I will ffind ways how to convert AVCHD files to Mpeg or avi and then edit in Vegas. Steve. do you think It's Ok to just open an avchd file in vegas and render as avi? How long will an hour of avchd files takes to be converted to avi? Maybe you will wonder why I talk about converting. The reason is I don't plan to snake HD dvd's, I only plan to make SD dvd's. and I heard that HD converted to SD will have a better quality.