DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   AVCHD Format Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/)
-   -   CX12 vs HC7 comparison - sharpness setting (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/128299-cx12-vs-hc7-comparison-sharpness-setting.html)

Tom Gull August 19th, 2008 03:28 PM

CX12 vs HC7 comparison - sharpness setting

I'm comparing the features of my Sony HC7 (HDV) camcorder with those published for the new CX12 (AVCHD). I noticed that the HC7 Sharpness setting for both video and stills is missing in the CX12, and also apparently in the SR11 and friends. Is it really missing in some sense, or is the in-camcorder processing with AVCHD such that it is not something to be manipulated by the user? Or are the newer sensor chips in the CX/SR series advanced in some way such that filming sharpness adjustments really aren't appropriate to do?

Thanks / Tom

Steve Mullen August 19th, 2008 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Gull (Post 922179)
I'm comparing the features of my Sony HC7 (HDV) camcorder with those published for the new CX12 (AVCHD). I noticed that the HC7 Sharpness setting for both video and stills is missing in the CX12, and also apparently in the SR11 and friends. Is it really missing in some sense, or is the in-camcorder processing with AVCHD such that it is not something to be manipulated by the user? Or are the newer sensor chips in the CX/SR series advanced in some way such that filming sharpness adjustments really aren't appropriate to do?

Thanks / Tom

Sony simply removed all of the color adjustments in it's latest version. However, BBC tests show NORMAL has been the best compromise between getting maximum frequency response (for fine detail) but not too much edge enhancement (as to cause "ringing).

The loss of saturation control is more important to me.

Dave Blackhurst August 19th, 2008 06:20 PM

Tom -
The CX7 already went to a "simplified" menu over the HC7. The CX12 probably carries over that somewhat frustrating interface. That said the "stock" camera profile, if it carries over from the SR11/12, should be pretty good for most purposes.

Your question is sort of a tricky one - the camera is supposedly becoming smarter and capable of making hte necessary decisions, at least if you believe the marketing... but it leaves those of us used to being able to tweak settings feeling a bit naked!

Personally, I've adjusted to getting good footage "out of the box", and then tweaking as needed in post. Can't say as I don't wish for more control though!

Tom Gull August 19th, 2008 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Mullen (Post 922221)
Sony simply removed all of the color adjustments in it's latest version. However, BBC tests show NORMAL has been the best compromise between getting maximum frequency response (for fine detail) but not too much edge enhancement (as to cause "ringing).

The loss of saturation control is more important to me.

Thanks, Steve. I'd guess the Camera Color setting in the HC7 was the only direct control over saturation, but I usually left that at its default setting. I did typically bump the sharpness up a notch for stills. (I could adjust that in PhotoShop Elements.) But I'm not sure I could really tell the difference in HD - it was noticeable in my DVD-quality HC90. Good to hear that the "setting" Sony has locked in is maybe the best compromise.

The HC7 also can show and/or record a color bar, show a histogram, and has a viewfinder. But the CX12 has features I prefer, so if the resolution and picture quality really is there, it's going to be hard to resist for my purposes.

Tom Gull August 19th, 2008 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst (Post 922253)
Tom -
The CX7 already went to a "simplified" menu over the HC7. The CX12 probably carries over that somewhat frustrating interface. That said the "stock" camera profile, if it carries over from the SR11/12, should be pretty good for most purposes.

Your question is sort of a tricky one - the camera is supposedly becoming smarter and capable of making hte necessary decisions, at least if you believe the marketing... but it leaves those of us used to being able to tweak settings feeling a bit naked!

Personally, I've adjusted to getting good footage "out of the box", and then tweaking as needed in post. Can't say as I don't wish for more control though!

Thanks, Dave. The CX12 menu actually looks a little easier to use, though I did create personal menus on the HC7. It looks like you can reorder the CX12 menu items to taste but you can't add or remove items, of course.

I was hoping that the camcorder was indeed supposed to be making superior choices due to increased computing power, as opposed to just having some features chopped out from one year or line to the next!

I've only had the HC7 since last March - it was specifically for a trip West to the Grand Canyon and the Rockies that I don't expect to repeat anytime soon. It was well worth it. But the CX12 has enough resolution and other upgrades that I'm very tempted. The filter diameter on the two camcorders is the same so the add-ons are all switchable. I'm just waiting for a review to confirm that the CX12 is at least as good as the SR11 series. I had a chance to hold a CX12 for a few minutes in a Best Buy without the annoying theft protection device attached. It sat well in my hand, which is the first test for me. I was afraid it would be too small to hold steady, but I think it would be fine in that respect.

Where are the CX12 reviews (rhetorical question)?