Sony SR11 SD mode question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old August 26th, 2008, 11:38 AM   #1
New Boot

Sony SR11 SD mode question

Two questions:

1. I've been through the menus and the manuals, and I see where to change the HD settings, but can't figure out how to get the Sony SR11 to record in SD.

2. Would it be better to record in HD and downconvert to SD? If so, would something like CyberLink Power Director 7 Ultra (or other recommended software) be able to do that?

I ask mostly because the final output goes on a DVD in SD. I currently work in Premier Elements, which as far as I know, does not support AVCHD. Thanks for your patience with such rudimentary questions. Weddings only get one take, so I want to get this part of it correct.

-- Will Pherigo
Will Pherigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 11:52 AM   #2
Inner Circle

1. Just double checked, as I remember that capability on the CX7... and it's not there in the SR11 and new CX12... so I guess SD sleeps wit da fishes...

2. Better to record in HD anyway, and after you import the clips into PMB, there's an option to convert the footage several different ways for your intended use. This makes more sense anyway, as starting from a higher quality source is best. The software convert was pretty zippy when I tried it just for giggles.

You may want to check for updates/patches, AVCHD is quickly becoming a "standard" format, any NLE that wants to sell will have to have it, and have it handle the footage FAST.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 12:53 PM   #3
New Boot

I'm pretty sure its there... somewhere

The specs mention 4 types of SD mode and the manual mentions SD mode and how to get to it, but when I follow their directions, the option just isn't there. Either they've left out something or I've gotta be missing some button press or menu selection somewhere.

Thanks again.

-- Will
Old August 26th, 2008, 01:23 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Press the HOME button on the top left of LCD , just above the W-T buttons. This will bring up the Movie Media Set buttons etc, press Movie Media Set and this will take you to a screen with HD HDD, SD HDD, HD Memory stick, SD memory stick, make your choice. This will set up the camcorder in this mode.Back out to main screen. Then select button on bottom right, then the one that looks like a little car on the bottom right, select record mode and choose quality level. This all works on my SR11 but I would suggest you just record in HD.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 02:28 PM   #5
Inner Circle

D'OH!!!! I hunted around for that, but I guess I was in too much of a hurry, Ron is right, it's under "home", movie media set... but I agree just record in HD unless there's some reason for the lower resolution...

SD from these cameras should still look WAY better than most other SD cams if you choose to go that way, the tests I ran with SD mode with my old HC1 were noticeably better than anything else I'd shot with at that time.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 02:34 PM   #6
New Boot

Thanks!

Thanks, Ron, I'll try the steps you suggested.

Next, I'm going to ask a question in the Wedding forum about how a low-budget wedding videographer like myself comes into the HD-era with out having to take out a second mortgage...

DVinfo is such a great community. I learn so much by reading the threads and links, and looking at the posted videos. Thanks for all of your patience with guys like me!

-- Will Pherigo
Old September 13th, 2008, 07:38 PM   #7
New Boot

Sony SR11 in SD mode -- very good!

Ron and Dave,

Your advice was great! And I was most astounded to see how much better the Sony was in SD than other cameras in SD, even a Canon GL2 (though admittedly, it was in auto and probably could have been improved by setting the exposure manually). The Sony did very well in my low-light wedding situation. If I ever get the money, I'll buy one!

-- Will Pherigo
Will Pherigo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion