little bit of SR11 fun at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old September 27th, 2008, 11:31 PM   #1
Major Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 628
little bit of SR11 fun

Some youtube demos of the picture... still learning the best way to compress in vegas for youtube. The Goonies video is a custom setting, the other is Vegas default HQ youtube setting. I think the custom looks better (watch in high quality).

I just set everything to high bitrates (10mbps) and best quality at 720x480 30fps.

The Goonies (kids at the lake)
YouTube - AVCHD HDR SR11 Handycam demo 2

The default HQ youtube vid
YouTube - AVCHD HDR SR11 Handycam demo

EDIT: Here is the Goonies Vid on Vimeo for comparison. I like what these new SR11/12 can produce.

http://www.vimeo.com/1833233

Last edited by Erik Phairas; September 28th, 2008 at 03:16 PM.
Erik Phairas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2008, 05:26 AM   #2
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: England
Posts: 444
[QUOTE=Erik Phairas;944036]Some youtube demos of the picture... still learning the best way to compress in vegas for youtube. The Goonies video is a custom setting, the other is Vegas default HQ youtube setting. I think the custom looks better (watch in high quality).

I just set everything to high bitrates (10mbps) and best quality at 720x480 30fps.

The Goonies (kids at the lake)
YouTube - AVCHD HDR SR11 Handycam demo 2

The default HQ youtube vid
YouTube - AVCHD HDR SR11 Handycam demo

EDIT: Here is the Goonies Vid on Vimeo for comparison. I like what these new SR11/12 can produce.
Erik having watched your flims i see you have been having a lot of fun with your cam,having a fairly young family helps i dont any longer,i have a SR12 probobly should have got the 11 and i like it a lot,pq color wise i prefer the SR 12 to my HC-1/FX7. the FX-7 just a shade sharper but there is nothing in it,I do miss a lot of the on cam controls the tape cams have .
You say you like what the SR11/12s produce what cams have you had before
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2008, 10:50 AM   #3
Major Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 628
thanks for watching! This is actually my second HD handycam, I had one of the first Sony HD handycams and returned it after one weekend.. the low light performance was so bad I could not justify the money. sorry but I can't remember the model number. It used a little DVD came out a while ago.

I have not got to use a prosumer HD camera first hand but I have downloaded a lot of HD videos of them posted on the various forums. I know that is not the same, but it gives me an idea.. I am quite impressed with this little SR11. That didn't stop me from Buying an EX3 though.. I am obsessed with getting the best low light camera that I can afford. It's an old pet peeve. I had a F2 pro line panasonic prosumer-ish camera back in the 80s (one of the first consumer available CCDs?). Loved it, but even then the low light bothered me.

little bit of triva, the F2 is featured in a Sig Sig Sputnik music video for a moment. :)

YouTube - Sigue Sigue Sputnik - 21st Century Boy

Minute :55 it was a camera head and VTR combo. Sorry for the ramble.. LOL
Erik Phairas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2008, 11:29 AM   #4
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: England
Posts: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Phairas View Post
thanks for watching! This is actually my second HD handycam, I had one of the first Sony HD handycams and returned it after one weekend.. the low light performance was so bad I could not justify the money. sorry but I can't remember the model number. It used a little DVD came out a while ago.

I have not got to use a prosumer HD camera first hand but I have downloaded a lot of HD videos of them posted on the various forums. I know that is not the same, but it gives me an idea.. I am quite impressed with this little SR11. That didn't stop me from Buying an EX3 though.. I am obsessed with getting the best low light camera that I can afford. It's an old pet peeve. I had a F2 pro line panasonic prosumer-ish camera back in the 80s (one of the first consumer available CCDs?). Loved it, but even then the low light bothered me.

little bit of triva, the F2 is featured in a Sig Sig Sputnik music video for a moment. :)

YouTube - Sigue Sigue Sputnik - 21st Century Boy

Minute :55 it was a camera head and VTR combo. Sorry for the ramble.. LOL
Its probobly me Erik but i dont get it when you say you have not used a prosumer cam but you then say you have bought an EX3,the EX3 must be vg in low light,i very rarely film indoors but i find the SR12s low light to be surprisingly good.
Thinking again you mean the EX3 is proffessional,good filming
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2008, 12:33 PM   #5
Major Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 628
well I bought an EX3, but haven't gotten it yet.. It comes in about 3 days. :)

The Sr11 is actually pretty nice in low light which is one of the reasons I like it so much but the EX3 should be a whole other level better. Lux rating is not the best way to measure but the Sr11 is only 5lux where the EX3 is 0.14. Plus I've seen what it can do in low light in videos posted on the forums.
Erik Phairas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 02:05 AM   #6
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: England
Posts: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Phairas View Post
well I bought an EX3, but haven't gotten it yet.. It comes in about 3 days. :)

The Sr11 is actually pretty nice in low light which is one of the reasons I like it so much but the EX3 should be a whole other level better. Lux rating is not the best way to measure but the Sr11 is only 5lux where the EX3 is 0.14. Plus I've seen what it can do in low light in videos posted on the forums.
It will be interesting how you find the EX3 outdoors compared to the SR11 it is a lot more expensive cam i know.The EX3 does not use memory stick and will need a powerfull pc to edit the footage i imagine,how do you store your footage i make blue ray and avchd discs as well as some tapes of all footage.
Regarding your rolling shutter question i have not had a problem with my SR12.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 07:42 PM   #7
Major Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 628
I store all my video on my computer harddrive. I will burn it to Blu ray in the near future. The XDcam EX codec couldn't be more difficult to edit than AVCHD... editing avchd is probably the hardest thing you will ever ask your computer to do besides games. :)

When I get the EX3 camera (tomorrow) I will be making a new video where I directly compare the two.
Erik Phairas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 11:31 AM   #8
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: England
Posts: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Phairas View Post
I store all my video on my computer harddrive. I will burn it to Blu ray in the near future. The XDcam EX codec couldn't be more difficult to edit than AVCHD... editing avchd is probably the hardest thing you will ever ask your computer to do besides games. :)

When I get the EX3 camera (tomorrow) I will be making a new video where I directly compare the two.
Agreed avchd editing is very difficult,if i have to make well edited film i usualy convert to hdv first[mad in some ways i know]but the tapes and blu ray discs still look good from the sr12.looking forward to your ex3 tests its a cam i have always wanted to try.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 11:51 AM   #9
Major Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 628
Here ya go Marty. I have a video comparison of the SR11 and EX3 here. The EX3 stays high def even in low light, where the Sr11 seems to switch into a standard def camera as the light starts to fade. LOL :)

Sony PMW EX3 xdcam demo on Vimeo

Getting a lot of mileage from that clip. :)
Erik Phairas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 01:52 PM   #10
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: England
Posts: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Phairas View Post
Here ya go Marty. I have a video comparison of the SR11 and EX3 here. The EX3 stays high def even in low light, where the Sr11 seems to switch into a standard def camera as the light starts to fade. LOL :)

Sony PMW EX3 xdcam demo on Vimeo

Getting a lot of mileage from that clip. :)
Night filming with a sr11 is not something of much use i know eric,an outdoor comparison when you get a chance would be nice,did you put your test in a sony demo film of some sort.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 02:02 PM   #11
Major Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn Hull View Post
Night filming with a sr11 is not something of much use i know eric,an outdoor comparison when you get a chance would be nice,did you put your test in a sony demo film of some sort.


Yea I will work on a full on comparison. I gotta figure out the EX3 first.. definitely not a camera you just turn on and start taking video. Gotta learn what the camera wants.

EDIT:

HA, I just noticed something... watch the opening graphic on Vimeo.. the one with the cross hairs on earth. If you look in the four sides of the Graphic you will see letters M - W and X - E. Well the model number of the camera is PMW EX3

http://www.vimeo.com/1943374

Spooky!! :lol:
Erik Phairas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 09:38 PM   #12
Major Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 628
Hey Marty here is a real quick daylight SR11 vs EX3.. don't let this fool you.. the EX3 keeps it's quality in almost all lighting.. where the Sr11 looks less and less HD the darker it gets. Love my little Sr11 though, very glad I own both.

I guess the money in the EX3 is for all the control you get, plus the ability to keep it's resolution way down the lux scale. I had to use a wide angle lens on the SR11 to make it match the EX3, the EX stocker is very wide. I like that. Anyway the edges of the picture on the Sr11 is overly blurry from the wide angle lens adpater. But you can see a resolution difference even in the center of the field. Also the color on the EX3 is MUCH more true to life. The Sr11 punches everything up. The brighter colors might fool some into thinking the SR11 wins this part of the contest though... I would rather have them (the colors) more true to life.

You will also notice more dynamic range and less depth of field in the EX3...

Sony HDR SR11 vs PMW EX3 on Vimeo

should be up soon. EDIT: well maybe it will be a while... LOL

Last edited by Erik Phairas; October 14th, 2008 at 07:43 PM.
Erik Phairas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 03:10 AM   #13
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: England
Posts: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Phairas View Post
Hey Marty here is a real quick daylight SR11 vs EX3.. don't let this fool you.. the EX3 keeps it's quality in almost all lighting.. where the Sr11 looks less and less HD the darker it gets. Love my little Sr11 though, very glad I own both.

I guess the money in the EX3 is for all the control you get, plus the ability to keep it's resolution way down the lux scale. I had to use a wide angle lens on the SR11 to make it match the EX3, the EX stocker is very wide. I like that. Anyway the edges of the picture on the Sr11 is overly blurry from the wide angle lens adpater. But you can see a resolution difference even in the center of the field. Also the color on the EX3 is MUCH more true to life. The Sr11 punches everything up. The brighter colors might fool some into thinking the SR11 wins this part of the contest though... I would rather have them (the colors) more true to life.

You will also notice more dynamic range and more depth of field in the EX3...

Sony HDR SR11 vs PMW EX3 on Vimeo

should be up soon. EDIT: well maybe it will be a while... LOL
Thanks Erik nice test,perhaps the poor af[its the worst thing about the machine the sr11/12 losing focus] did not help it,the extra sharpness of the big boy showed through,even my fx-7 apears to be a bit sharper than my sr12 and its 1440/1080,regarding colour your grass test is similar to my two cams when i did a test but i preferd the sr 12 to the fx7 as the fx-7 is a bit week while the sr12s a little the other way which i prefer.for the money the little cam does not perform too bad,Anyway my friend i look forward to more film and tests, Mart
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 04:20 PM   #14
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Apple Valley CA
Posts: 4,866
Good video tests! I think the thing that amazes me is how close the SR is to the EX considering portability and a substantial difference in price... I'm not seeing a multi-$K improvement in image quality from the one to the other, which is sort of surprising!

Which WA did you use on the SR out of curiousity? I know the quality of WA glass can make for HUGE differences in the performance of the camera - anything short of the old HG0737Y noticeably degrades the image from my experience... dang lens weighs almost as much as the camera though!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 07:47 PM   #15
Major Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 628
Thanks for watching. :) The SR11 is indeed a very nice little camera in bright light. Quite fond of it. I used a Sony X0.7 VCL-E07A wide angle lens. The only difference I see really (besides the wider angle) is blurring on the edges. I think someone said that is a sign it was made for standard definition? I dunno. But I know the stanard lens for the Sr11 is way too narrow for my taste. I had planned on buying something for the EX3 as well but I was pleased to find the stock lens is nearly as wide as the Sr11 with the VCL adapter.

Also remember, that video was downsized to fit on vimeo. The EX3 is a whole other animal than the SR11.. not even close in all but direct sunlight. :)
Erik Phairas is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:44 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network