is there a difference between 24mbps AVCHD that I record and the AVC used on Blu-ray? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old December 5th, 2008, 06:00 PM   #1
New Boot

is there a difference between 24mbps AVCHD that I record and the AVC used on Blu-ray?

is there a difference between 24mbps AVCHD that I record and the AVC used on Blu-ray movie discs?
Henry Corrilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 05:03 PM   #2
Major Player

avchd is not blu ray the main differences are in the sound apart from the lenghth of footage that can be put on blank discs,you say you record 24mbps avchd if that is on disc i am surprised as i was under the impression that 16 mbps was the maximum that can be recorded,that is what my avchd discs are when i burn them but my blu rays are around 26mbps
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 05:21 PM   #3
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Corrilan View Post
is there a difference between 24mbps AVCHD that I record and the AVC used on Blu-ray movie discs?
Yes and no. Yes, there is a difference in that AVCHD is a defined format that uses H264/AVC and may use AC3.

No, in terms of image quality both should look the same IF the same quality encoder is used. That may not be the case.

Can you record 24Mbs on a red-laser dvd. Since the upper limit for red-laser is 25Mbps, the answer is yes. Can you find software that will do this -- you'll have to look. Most top out at 16Mbps.
Old December 9th, 2008, 12:16 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post
Can you record 24Mbs on a red-laser dvd. Since the upper limit for red-laser is 25Mbps, the answer is yes. Can you find software that will do this -- you'll have to look. Most top out at 16Mbps.
This is interesting. You mean for playback in a standard DVD player right? I thought the maximum amount of data that DVD could playback is 9mbps, hence all of the encoding software I have used tops out at 9mbps.
Devin Termini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 12:23 AM   #5
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Termini View Post
This is interesting. You mean for playback in a standard DVD player right? I thought the maximum amount of data that DVD could playback is 9mbps, hence all of the encoding software I have used tops out at 9mbps.
NO -- AVCHD can only be played on a BD player.
Old December 9th, 2008, 03:21 AM   #6
Major Player

AVCHD will play on PS3s and some blu ray players.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion