CAVision Viewfinder for TG1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old December 11th, 2008, 04:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

CAVision Viewfinder for TG1

I've been using the Sony TG1 for some time now. The picture quality is high and the portability is great. Shooting double system sound and adding a wide angle lens adapter has now enabled me to use it professionally. However I have been frustrated by the lack of a viewfinder up to now... I been using the CA Vision Monitor Hood Viewfinder System for a couple of days:

Sony HDR-TG1 Accessories

and recommend it! For those who shoot with a TG1, you will be surprised when you look at the screen through this thing - it's really like the viewfinder of a much larger camera and looks great.

I also tried it on my Sony CX7 - it's not exactly designed for those flip out LED dimensions but you can attach it to that (and other cameras of similar size I guess) using the elastic strap that is attached to the viewfinder.
Roger Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 05:14 PM   #2
Contributor

That's cool. I didn't know you could add a wide angle adapter to that camera. Does it have threads on the lens? Have you intercut any of its footage with anything else?

Last edited by Bill Pryor; December 11th, 2008 at 06:49 PM.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 11:07 PM   #3
Regular Crew

The wide angle uses a magnetic ring which you have to glue to the camera. It works well and I have intercut it with other footage. I have not used this set up with extreme motion though (eg jumping out of a plane, or bungee jumping off a bridge, or on skateboarding etc). I don't think the magnetic bond could hold up to really sharp sudden shocks!
Old December 12th, 2008, 04:42 AM   #4
Major Player

What i like about viewfinders is that you can adjust it to your eyes,i take it the adaptor will not do this so some,one who uses reading glasses like me would still need to wear them while filming which means in my case i would have to keep putting on and off my glasses.But the adaptor does look a very good accessory.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 08:25 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Yes unfortunately there is no diopter adjustment on the viewfinder. However it is a generous size. I wear spectacles myself and have no difficulty viewing with them on.
Old December 12th, 2008, 09:16 AM   #6
Contributor

Do you have a link on where that wide angle adapter with magnetic ring is available? Sounds very interesting.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 09:35 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Try this:

GoShot Camera Bower M.Power large 0.38x magnetic super wide angle/fish eye lens

I also found another "solution" which is more for helmet cams. I have not tried this one but it's a great idea:

Cookie Composites
Old December 14th, 2008, 09:57 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Garcia View Post
Yes unfortunately there is no diopter adjustment on the viewfinder. However it is a generous size. I wear spectacles myself and have no difficulty viewing with them on.
What is their price on this viewfinder? Sounds like it can be adapted to the HF100 with straps.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 07:02 AM   #9
Regular Crew

It's around $80. Check the B&H Photo website.
Roger Garcia is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion