Power Director improvement survey is online! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old January 11th, 2009, 01:26 AM   #31
New Boot

Corel Video Studio X2 update

Inspired by this forum I checked Corel Video Studio X2 updates. I have found a patch which speeds up AVCHD playback and native editing considerably still not at the speed of Power Director but on my Core 2 Duo 2,2 GHz laptop acceptable.
Peter Pacai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2009, 06:59 AM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pacai View Post
I made som further tests with the latest patch (2429a). Smart rendering still works fine except that the output has some glitches. Around the edit points there are small jumps during playback. I use Dvico Tvix 4100 and Playstation 3 for playback, I have the same problem on both.

I only do trimming and joining clips straight from the camera (HF10). I tested the same clips with the same edit points in Corel Video Studio X2 and the output has no problem at all.

I use Corel Video Studio X2 (and its previous versions) since I have HD cameras. I tested couple of other editing software, as soon as there was a new version released.

My conclusion is that at the moment the only working, bug free AVCHD smart rendering capable editing software is Corel Video Studio X2. The only problem with Corel Video Studio x2 is that it is very slow to playback and edit AVCHD so I have to use the built in smart proxy which takes time to process.
Nero Vision and ArcSoft Total Media Extreme also do smart rendering properly AFAIK.

Larry
Larry Horwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2009, 08:15 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Quote:
My conclusion is that at the moment the only working, bug free AVCHD smart rendering capable editing software is Corel Video Studio X2. The only problem with Corel Video Studio x2 is that it is very slow to playback and edit AVCHD so I have to use the built in smart proxy which takes time to process.
If you check the Corel User to User forums, you'll see that XS is reported as still having unfixed AVCHD smart rendering issues.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2009, 08:15 AM   #34
New Boot

I tested Nero Vision the resulted clip was buggy even worse than Power Director and the interface is under my not too high standars not to mention that AVCHD seek is very slow.

I tested ArcSoft as well, I don't remember what was the problem. I will check again.
Old January 11th, 2009, 08:16 AM   #35
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
If you check the Corel User to User forums, you'll see that XS is reported as still having unfixed AVCHD smart rendering issues.
I am using Corel on a weekly basis, "smart rendered" about 200 movies so there is definitely no bugs which are effecting my workflow.
Old January 11th, 2009, 08:25 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Quote:
I am using Corel on a weekly basis, "smart rendered" about 200 movies so there is definitely no bugs which are effecting my workflow.
You are the exception that proves the rule then! We are all waiting for a fix, here's a sample of a post on the Corel forum:
Corel User to User Web Board :: View topic - Glitches when editing/outputting AVCHD
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2009, 01:11 PM   #37
Major Player

There was quite a bit of discussion of this issue in another thread on this forum between me and a couple other people, and the bottom line was that the "glitch" / "blip" issue was mostly solved with a patch released last year by Corel for VS Pro X2, but it was not entirely corrected. Those of us who use VS X2 Pro to do 30p AVCHD never see the issue whereas those using 60i usually do see it, but it is not glaring. Possibly this is the reason for some having an issue and others like myself not having an issue?
Old January 23rd, 2009, 08:37 PM   #38
New Boot

I now little about HD, editting and uploading HD video to websites. I have Power Director 7 Ultra to edit my video with, but it always has lines in the video when I watch it after uploading it to a site. I noticed you guys talking about AVCHD Smart Rendering SVRT and thought this is what I need to fix this problem. Do I need a differnt program? Or does someone have a simple fix that I might try? Thanks for any help.
Kenny Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 12:07 AM   #39
Major Player

Kenny,

Can you provide a web URL where a sample of this problem can be viewed?
Which AVCHD camcorder do you use?

Larry
Old January 24th, 2009, 07:23 PM   #40
New Boot

here is the url...Table Rock 2008 on Vimeo

Any help would be much appreciated. I am pretty sure my camera is a Cannon HV20, but I need to check on that. This is the first time working with anything like this. I am not looking to get in professional quality, but I would like it to be a little clearer.

Thanks,
Kenny
Old January 25th, 2009, 07:48 AM   #41
Major Player

Kenny,

I watched the video and easily see the problem you are referring to.

I need to understand more about what you are doing with Power Director here.

First, if you are using a Canon HV20, your video is not AVCHD but is actually in an HDV format, which is a different method of creating HD video.

Next, in Power Director, you have a variety of choices when you use the Production Wizard to "produce" a video as you did.

Did you output as a File using Windows Media File, Quick Time, or Real Video format, or did you create a streaming output? Each of these 2 choices has several options as well.

Depending on which type of output file you created from Power Director, a major difference in the conversion takes place. I need to know what you are doing to make these web files before offering a way to fix it.

Please describe your process.

Larry
Old January 25th, 2009, 06:25 PM   #42
New Boot

Larry,

First off, I appreciate the time you are taking to respond.

The video that you watched was neither of those. I think it was an Mpeg-4, but I am not sure again. I can check and let you know. I did do one in Windows Media File, and I thought it turned out a little better, but it seemed jumpy watching it and the quality did not seem that great. Here is the URL for that one...2008 Summer Table Rock Trip on Vimeo

Maybe you could give me your thoughts on how you would do it using the camera that I have.

Thanks,
Kenny
Old January 25th, 2009, 06:35 PM   #43
New Boot

I went back and checked the video out after my last post on here and it didn't look too bad. When I watched it the first time after I initially uploaded it to the site it was worse. I can live with the way it is now, although I would like it to be of better quality and less jumpy. If you have any other suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kenny
Old January 25th, 2009, 10:58 PM   #44
Major Player

Kenny,

I am glad to try to help you. This is a complex topic so I ask for you to also do some research on your own as well, but here is a way to start.

Converting HD content for viewing on the web has several important issues:

1. What is the format your original video is in?

2. What format(s) will the web server (such as Vimio) accept?

3. What type of playback computer will your viewers be using to see your video?

4. How large is the maximum file size your server will allow?

5. What is the playing time of your video?

As a Vimeo user, for example, you are only allowed up to 500 MB per week as an upload. If you pay Vimeo for their deluxe service they allow you much bigger files. A long video clip will need to be compressed more to fit the file size limit than a short clip. A slower computer will stutter when trying to play back 1280 by 720p video at too high a bitrate.

If your camcorder is HDV, you are probably best off converting the file yourself to 1280 by 720 h.264 since this is the format Vimeo ultimately uses.

Since the specific choice of settings for a particular video may differ for one set of conditions versus another, there is no single "best" solution, but a simple "cookbook" method of dealing with Vimeo for HD may be the best place for your to start.

I encourage you to look carefully at each of the 6 steps shown at:

http://eugenia.gnomefiles.org/images/powerdirector.png

Be sure to use NTSC (and not PAL) even though the example shows PAL.

Please try this approach and let me / us know how well you results are, and we will work from there.

You might also benefit from reading:

http://vimeo.com/forums/topic:3671

and you may wish to post your request for help directly within the Vimeo forum at:

http://vimeo.com/forum:Technical_Help

Larry
Old January 27th, 2009, 05:11 PM   #45
New Boot

Larry, thanks again for the help. I don't really have the knowledge that you do on this topic and wish that I did. I will have to read into some of the things you suggested when I get time. I think it will be a slow process since I have no background with this type of topic, but I am interested in it. Until then, the way I am doing it now will work. Thanks again for help and ideas.

Kenny
Kenny Morrow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion