DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   AVCHD Format Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/)
-   -   FCE (not P) and AVCHD question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/141107-fce-not-p-avchd-question.html)

Bill Pryor January 7th, 2009 05:21 PM

FCE (not P) and AVCHD question

I know from experience that FCP (on an Intel Mac) handles AVCHD easily. Plug in the camera, go to File, open Log and Transfer and the clip appear and you drag the ones you want to the Que window and in a little while you're ready to edit, as easy as capturing from tape. Or you can copy all the folders from the camera to a drive and then drag them to the Log and Capture window when you're ready. Works the same.

My question is, does anybody know if Final Cut Express works that way too? A friend of mine is interested in getting it.

I know that iMovie will suck the clips right in from the camera with ease, but I haven't figured out how to drag the folders to iMovie to make it work. Don't think it will. I'd like to know if FCE will do both, ie., capture and transcode from the camera and from files on the drive.

Bob Curnow January 7th, 2009 06:09 PM

I don't think it does. I was about to buy it and researched it alot... till I learned that it takes 1920x1080 avchd and turns it into 1440x1080... just like imovie does.
Bob C

Mike Brice January 7th, 2009 07:00 PM

I have iMovie and Final Cut Express.

I have a Canon HF10.

I just plug it in and start FCE and use the log and capture process and it works like you describe it.

If it is just family stuff, I will import via iMovie.

If I change my mind, I can export the XML feature from iMovie to then open in FCE.

I have not tried to import into FCE after I have imported.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pryor (Post 990851)
I know from experience that FCP (on an Intel Mac) handles AVCHD easily. Plug in the camera, go to File, open Log and Transfer and the clip appear and you drag the ones you want to the Que window and in a little while you're ready to edit, as easy as capturing from tape. Or you can copy all the folders from the camera to a drive and then drag them to the Log and Capture window when you're ready. Works the same.

My question is, does anybody know if Final Cut Express works that way too? A friend of mine is interested in getting it.

I know that iMovie will suck the clips right in from the camera with ease, but I haven't figured out how to drag the folders to iMovie to make it work. Don't think it will. I'd like to know if FCE will do both, ie., capture and transcode from the camera and from files on the drive.

Robert Bale January 8th, 2009 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pryor (Post 990851)

Hi, i have a problem, what is the file ext (0001.MTS) you drag in to fcp, or use the log and transfer, i can not get any files to open in it. I have plug the camera in, no go, then i copied some files into a folder (000.MTS) still no go. yes i have a Intel, mac pro, latest FCP.
ROB ?

Screen Shot Added next post

Robert Bale January 8th, 2009 12:12 AM

screen shot

1 Attachment(s)
This is the screen shot error if i try to drag in a file

Bill Pryor January 8th, 2009 09:24 AM

When I plug in the camera and open Log and Transfer, all the clips appear on their own.

When I do it from files I've copied to the desktop, grab all the folders and drop the whole thing into the window, and the clips appear the same way. A total of 4 folders come from my camera (Sony TG1). I think the system wants them all. I haven't tried to pick and choose some of them. I figured if I just drag the whole bunch, then it would act the same as when the camera is connected, and it does.

Jeff DeLamater January 8th, 2009 09:57 AM

have you tried copying over the whole private folder when saving the clips off of the camera/memory card?

that will get the clips as well as the specific directory structure and accompanying files. Then you should just be able to point Log and Transfer to that folder. (in theory. i've only got FCP4, which doesn't even have log and transfer, just log and capture)

Julio Laffont January 8th, 2009 04:38 PM

I have FCP Pro HD express. Need advice to proper burn WMV, Mov and jpg folder in DVD.

Hi. I'm new with FCP Pro HD express. Need advice to proper burn WMV, Mov and jpg folder in DVD.
Now I finished the edition of 14 WMV, and 7 Mov (or QTm) and 7 files full of jpgs extracted from the movies. Now I need to burn in DVD the 21 videos and the 7 jpg files from my Mac with the idea to be extracted from another computer and downloaded each one of the items separately to be published in a distant WEB. I can't fail and each one of the videos and files should be extracted normally in any computer from a Burned DVD in my Mac to any other computer. I wonder if someone can give me an advice of the right settings to use for this task in my DVD burner for normal extraction for each item in a P.C or Mac. I can't see in the IDVD the option to include files, only pictures and movies and that's what the asked me to do. Send files of movies and pics to open in a remote computer.
Thanks for your help and Best Regards.
Julio laffont.