DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   AVCHD Format Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/)
-   -   Canon HF100 vs Panasonic HDC-SD100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/144369-canon-hf100-vs-panasonic-hdc-sd100.html)

Robert Rogoz February 22nd, 2009 04:50 PM

Canon HF100 vs Panasonic HDC-SD100

Any first hand experiences? From the reading HF100 produces slightly better image, but manual controls are much, much better on Panasonic. Both are pretty much at the same price range at B&H.
I played a bit with HF100 and imo the manual focus is pretty much worthless.
I am not considering new Canon line, since this camera is going to a very harsh locations, and I am not willing to spend that kind of cash on something that might get destroyed.

Mac Treouser February 24th, 2009 12:08 AM

Hi,

I owned the both camcorder.
Tell you what, both are pretty cool.
If you are mention about the Manual Focus, i'll vote to SD100, that's because of the Pro Iris Ring Control ,pretty accurate of focusing!!!infact, HF100 are digital control at this part.

both built with Small Sensors, that's why i'm still not really happy with the low light performance, mean, Noises there...But the colors are impressed!!!!

Different function and features control for both camera...so, you might need to learn 2 types of controls out there.infact, for me, it's Not a big deal!!!

Other than Low Light Noise, everything's fine for the both camera and seems, SD100 is more cheaper + free a DVD Burner (i got it free). so, both are good choice!!!

Cheers.

Robert Rogoz February 25th, 2009 01:02 PM

Mac, thanks for the reply. I am not really worried about low light, since I will be shooting alpine climbing, on snow. That's actually what draws me towards Panasonic, since it has a view finder and zebra. I did read camcorderinfo reviews- which stated that Canon produced better and sharper picture. However I think the tests were done with automatic settings. So my question is if there is actually visible difference in picture quality in good light conditions? Also how much can you tweak the picture with manual controls (like detail level and gamma) on Panasonic vs Canon. I really appreciate your reply- Robert

Mac Treouser February 25th, 2009 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Rogoz (Post 1018310)
Mac, thanks for the reply. I am not really worried about low light, since I will be shooting alpine climbing, on snow. That's actually what draws me towards Panasonic, since it has a view finder and zebra. I did read camcorderinfo reviews- which stated that Canon produced better and sharper picture. However I think the tests were done with automatic settings. So my question is if there is actually visible difference in picture quality in good light conditions? Also how much can you tweak the picture with manual controls (like detail level and gamma) on Panasonic vs Canon. I really appreciate your reply- Robert

Hey,i've did some test on both last few days.
since you'll shoot in light enough situation, let consider bout your issue, the control.
i found that Panasonic provided much control on that.You are able to use the aperture,shutter to control your exposure, infact, Canon will only let you control the average of Exposure setting.For that, i found that Canon finally din't provide a SMOOTH Picture movement in this case (weak light condition), and Panny done well.

Panny produced Film look picture color,and you might able to On or Off the (so call) Cinema function and Digital Cinema color for picture color's result.Besides, you are able to tweak on Picture Color setting, Sharpness+Color(satuation)+exposure in pre (before recording)

Canon provided types of color picture like the very common on Canon gear (vivid,soft skin....)

Panny provided a Manual Focus and Zoom (which is Ring Type) but Canon is digitally control the Manual Focus by pushing or pull down the Stick on the side of the LCD.

On Day light situation, i think both giving you the good PQ, no doubt, for "tweak" ,the control, i think Panny giving you a little more option as i mentioned the apperture and shutter.

hope this help!
cheers

Robert Rogoz February 25th, 2009 09:38 PM

I really appreciate your input! I think I am going with Panasonic then.

Mac Treouser February 25th, 2009 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Rogoz (Post 1018598)

I'm very happy with this Cam!!!
Cheers.

Bruno Donnet February 27th, 2009 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Rogoz (Post 1018598)

If you plan to buy the Pany, and if you can wait for some weeks, I advice you to postpone a little your buying: the replacant of the HDC-SD100, the new HDC-SD300 will be available soon.

Robert Rogoz February 27th, 2009 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruno Donnet (Post 1019356)
If you plan to buy the Pany, and if you can wait for some weeks, I advice you to postpone a little your buying: the replacant of the HDC-SD100, the new HDC-SD300 will be available soon.

Like I stated in my initial post- they are simply too expensive for what they are (SD100 sells for $545 with bag, extra battery and 8G card, vs SD300 is $1300 bare) . Plus now on new Panasonic SD300 the lens ring will have fewer controls, so imo it is a step back. I honestly doubt video performance will be all that much different. After all all these cams are just 1080/60i. I am taking this camera, where braking it is a really good possibility. Anyway- I just wanted opinion of a first hand user if there was picture quality difference between HF100 and SD100 in good light. Thanks for reply.