Looking for consumer video camera w/independent control of iris, shutter, gain at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old March 17th, 2009, 11:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Looking for consumer video camera w/independent control of iris, shutter, gain

I've been having a difficult time finding a consumer video camera that lets you manually control exposure properly. I used to have a Panasonic PV-GS120 that let me do control the iris, shutter, and gain independently. I purchased this about 5 years ago for less than $500, it's ridiculous that many of today's consumer video cameras don't allow this. If anyone has any suggested consumer camcorders that are out, announced, or rumored, I'd greatly appreciate hearing from them.
Salil Sundresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 02:30 PM   #2
New Boot

Check out the new Sanyo HD2000! Most Sanyo cams have what you ask for and their latest looks really promising:

Sanyo Xacti VPC-HD2000 Camcorder Review - Sanyo

Not AVCHD container but mp4. The h264 video stream is similar, though.
Kenneth Medin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 12:29 PM   #3
Major Player

I'm really interested in this camcorder, everthing about it is fine with me, except for a fatal flaw: poor image stabilization. That alone will probably take it off my list. See the camcorderinfo review,very nice!
Norris Combs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 01:17 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I own 5 Panasonic HDC-HS100's

Panasonic | HDC-HS100 60GB HDD/SD Hybrid High | HDC-HS100K | B&H

I love these cameras. Has all the manual controls you are looking for. I think there is now a HDC-HS300 now. Look for that since that is the updated version.
Clint Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 06:13 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salil Sundresh View Post
I've been having a difficult time finding a consumer video camera that lets you manually control exposure properly. I used to have a Panasonic PV-GS120 that let me do control the iris, shutter, and gain independently. I purchased this about 5 years ago for less than $500, it's ridiculous that many of today's consumer video cameras don't allow this. If anyone has any suggested consumer camcorders that are out, announced, or rumored, I'd greatly appreciate hearing from them.
I do not believe there are any current consumer cameras with truly independent control of iris, shutter and gain. By independent I mean being able to set gain at 9db and iris at f5.6. The Panasonic and I think some of the Canon cams indicate in manual exposure when gain is started. That is iris is fully open before gain is started. It is my belief that the Panasonic's always worked this way. The Sony's actually work in the same way but do not give any indication of 0 gain though I have a mark on my LCD where this starts!!!
I agree that things have gone backwards from my Hi8 days when the Sony single chip 801 had truly independent controls with a button layout almost exactly like my FX1!!!

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 07:44 AM   #6
Major Player

I have the Sanyo FH1 which is the horizontal version of the HD2000. I can independently set the shutter speed, aperture and ISO. I believe ISO is the equivalent of gain.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion