Trouble smart-rendering with Nero on HF100 AVCHD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old March 24th, 2009, 03:51 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Trouble smart-rendering with Nero on HF100 AVCHD

I have searched the forums, and it appears that many people have no trouble using Nero Vision 5 (part of the Nero 8 suite) to smart render HF100 AVCHD. I am having trouble, so I'd appreciate it if anyone could tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I understand that Nero cannot smart render these files if any transitions/titles etc. are introduced. However, I am merely doing trims and rearranges and splits on my source clips, yet I still get less than 100% in the smart rendering report that is generated before the actual render. When I do render, the result is obviously lower quality than the source or than a similar file that I generate with Pixela (the bundled HF100 software).

My workflow is:
1) Create AVCHD Disk
2) Add files from HF100 flash card
3) Edit each individual file with simple trims, splits, rearranging, merging. No transitions or audio changes or titles, or anything else that I know would affect smart rendering.
4) Use default Nero settings to burn.
5) Get to "pre-burn" report which shows that none of my clips will be 100% smart rendered. They usually claim 70-90% smart rendering. This makes me think I am doing something wrong.
6) Burn AVCHD disk to my desktop (as opposed to a DVD-R disk).
7) Play the resulting MTS file (from the AVCHD folder on the desktop), and I notice pixelation and degradation. This degradation does not occur when I play the source file nor when I create a similarly trimmed/split/rearranged file using Pixela.

Does anyone see any error I may be making? Thanks for your time.
Peter Holzel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion