Canon HFS10 vs the new Sony CX550VE - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old March 16th, 2010, 03:05 PM   #16
Inner Circle

The frame rate for 60i is 60 frames a second. So in one respect 60 interlaced frames a second is not far off reallity. The odd and even fields do not come from the same frame so cannot be added together to make 30 frames a second. The fields are from 60 consecutive frames. The odd field is not from the same frame as the next even field etc, etc. they are scanned 1/60 sec apart. We just have a crazy convention that calls this 29.97i !!!!!!
To display 60i the display must either be an interlaced CRT or for an LCD or plasma the display must interpolate 60 frames a second( since in NA this is the refresh rate of most displays). Only very low cost ( and poor performing) displays add fields together and display twice. The newer TV's interpolate extra full frames from whatever the input. Its this scaling and interpolating that in my mind really defines the performance of new sets and likely accounts for the price differences too!!!!

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 08:49 PM   #17
Regular Crew

CNET UK has reviewed the HDC-TM700, deeming the camera "only really suitable for enthusiasts and semi-professionals." Of course, this critique could be taken as a compliment.
Old March 17th, 2010, 01:38 AM   #18
Trustee

One disappointment- looking at the HDC-TM700 specs- is the 250K rez of the LCD.
For me personally, the Sony HD LCD (SR-12, XR 520, CX550), with 4 times the resolution, is priceless.
Old March 17th, 2010, 12:12 PM   #19
Inner Circle

I'd wait to see some low light shots from the Panasonic, if that's important (bad light conditions are pretty common!). I was disappointed when I saw footage from the TM300 series - it fell apart pretty badly when the light conditions were tough... something the Sonys with the "R" sensor handle far more gracefully, the image and colors hold up pretty well, even in light that my eyes can barely resolve.

And yep, looking forward to that 3.5" LCD... 3" is tough on my eyes anymore, though it prolly wouldn't have bothered me one bit 20 years ago!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 08:10 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Panasonic is touting low-light gains due to the new f1.5 lens and enhanced 3MOS tech. But if faced with an extreme low light situation I'll use my EX1.

There are several low-light samples from the Japanese TM700 on YouTube. I'm waiting to read more reviews, but so far so good. Example: YouTube - HDC-TM700????

It's certainly a competitive horse race between these three "flagship" camcorders.

The Canon offers several progressive frame rates (including native 24p) & manual control, but the narrowest lens. One 1/2.6" sensor.

The Sony offers the widest lens (29.8mm) & nicest LCD screen, some manual control, but only one interlaced frame rate. One 1/2.88"sensor.

The Panasonic offers 1080p 60p (recording twice as much image data as the interlace method) plus 60i and 24p with pulldown, an f1.5 35mm wide angle lens, three 1/4" sensors, manual control with a manual focus/iris/shutter ring.

I don't think you go wrong amongst these three. It all depends on what features you most value.

I'm leaning toward the manual control and progressive frame rates of the Panny, but the Canon & Sony are compelling choices as well. Each offers features that a few years ago would've been unthinkable in a consumer cam. And each has at least one weakness that makes the choice maddening! ;-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion