h264 compression settings for web at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old March 6th, 2010, 02:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

h264 compression settings for web

I've got a camera that uses the AVCHD format. So far no problems. I usually export to a .wmv format and the file size is definitely acceptable. For example I rendered about a 5 minute AVCHD format video to a regular 1280X720 .wmv format and it came out to around 50mb. The problem here is that I'm doing online streaming with a flash player and it doesn't play back .wmv files, but it does play back mp4 files.

I simply want to export these files with an h264/mp4 compression that's around the same file size as the .wmv format so they'll work in a flash player for online streaming. The problem here is that after fooling around with the h264/mp4 compression settings in Vegas (the Sony Main Concept thing), the file size seems WAY bigger than the .wmv format files, and it doesn't look nearly as good either.

I may just not be choosing the right kind of compression settings. If a .wmv file can look that good and have a file size of only 50mb, then surely an mp4 file using the h264 format can too, no?
Jared Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 09:49 PM   #2
Wrangler

What resolution and bit rate settings are you using for the .wmv & the h.264 files?
Old March 8th, 2010, 05:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I don't use Vegas, but I use Quicktime through FCP.

Even my 360p resolution videos on YouTube are stunningly clear.

I export using
5000kbps (yes, that's high, but I've NEVER been on a computer that didn't load the video fast, even an iPhone!)
24 keyframes
Quicktime Movie (H.264)

Check out my videos out YouTube - craiglieberman's Channel
Craig Lieberman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion