solution for burning AVCHD to DVD-R on Mac OS X? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old June 13th, 2010, 12:57 PM   #1
New Boot

solution for burning AVCHD to DVD-R on Mac OS X?

Would anyone care to share their preferred method for doing this? I would really like to get away from Roxio, I think I've had too many "last straw" moments with Toast at this point. I was just reading about RevolverHD from Shedworx, anyone used it?

In case anyone's curious, my camera shoots full 1920x1080, my Mac is running 10.6.3 and my playback device is a Playstation 3.
Drew Wallner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2010, 08:34 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Few options

I haven't had any serious issues with Toast. So far, the resulting Blu-ray DVD-R discs have been consistently playable and reliable. I don't do much with it, though, but nonetheless, the 'last straw' scenario is definitely not that familiar with me.

Outside of Toast, there aren't that many options; you have Adobe Encore (part of CS5 Production Suite) and that's pretty much it.

If anyone else knows of any other Blu-ray authoring solution for AVCHD content, this would be the forum to disclose their experiences.
Predrag Vasic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2010, 08:26 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Toast- No Problem, almost

I too have no problem with using toast. Edit in FCP, compress audio and video in Compressor, then use Toast to multiplex the video and generate the BD file. I always tell Toast not to recompress and save to a file rather than write to an optical disk. For some unknown magic reason, I couldn't get Toast to reliably not recompress when I went directly to optical disk. I generate both DVD media BD disks and BD media BD disks using AVCHD without any problem.

I will say, I hate the extremely limited menu structure.

Rick
Rick Llewellyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 05:14 PM   #4
Trustee

FCP ==> Compressor ==> DVD Studio Pro for DVD.

FCP ==> Compressor ==> Encore for BD (if I want fancy menus and better navigation control)

OR

FCP ==> BD directly (for simple BD)

OR

FCP ==> Compressor ==> BD directly (for simple BD)

You can also use the above workflow to write the BD file system to HDD then burn the file system to a DVD-R is you want HD video on DVD. Realise you won't get a full length movie doing this ;)
Old July 27th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Partington View Post
FCP ==> Compressor ==> DVD Studio Pro for DVD.

FCP ==> Compressor ==> Encore for BD (if I want fancy menus and better navigation control)

OR

FCP ==> BD directly (for simple BD)

OR

FCP ==> Compressor ==> BD directly (for simple BD)

You can also use the above workflow to write the BD file system to HDD then burn the file system to a DVD-R is you want HD video on DVD. Realise you won't get a full length movie doing this ;)
Thanks for the heads up! Since I use FCE, I didn't realize that FCP now had BD export/burn capability. I have what may be a naive folowup question. I own CS4 but didn't install Encore because I thought all it could process was DVD content. If I go grab my discs and install it, would this workflow be possible, or do you need CS5 to do BD content authoring?
Drew Wallner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 01:14 AM   #6
Trustee

Adobe Encore CS4 does Blu Ray like a champ :)
Just select Blu Ray when the New Project window comes up.
When you get ready to burn and are on the "Build" panel, be sure Blu Ray is selected on the pull down instead of DVD.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion