Canon VIXIA HF S21 vs Sony HDR XR550V - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old July 15th, 2010, 12:29 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Hmm, I didn't remember the 550 being rated 11 lux - mine "sees" better in low lux mode than I do... so I can't complain if it matches that.

I was fiddling with shooting a still with the 550, and noticed it wasn't able to do all the same digital tricks as it could in video mode, so stills were "dark", I wonder how much enhancement the video side will get in this new toy, it "might" be able to do OK when in actual use, even if the specs don't look so hot.

I actually "love" the look of this new camera (sure prettied it up a lot from the mockup!), and will be on the hunt to pick one up when the guy who buys this "because the sales guy said it was the best" sticks it up on eBay... and you know that a lot of consumers will buy thinking they are getting the "best", and realize the unique approach this camera takes isn't nearly as "friendly" as a basic handycam...

I'm still waiting to see what comes out of the Alpha line - there should be two Alpha mount SLR style bodies with HD video, and supposedly two more mirrorless alpha mount bodies... In some ways those form factors are more "attractive" in my mind, but this traditional video camera format looks very tempting too!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 01:17 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Thanks for the advice guys looks like I'm getting the Sony in a week or so I'll uploadsome sample footage as soon as I can
Eduardo Romero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 02:07 PM   #18
Trustee

Dave
The "low lux" 550 settings are rated lower than 11 lux (3 lux, I think), but I always shoot in standard mode, which, according to the manual is 11 lux, & am very happy with the low light results. If the NEX can match that, I'll be satisfied.
As to style & appearance: the more I look at it, the better I like it. I think it looks bigger in the photos than it will turn out to actually be in your hand.
One possible major bummer is no servo zoom. Can I hold steady while zooming? Don't know- never had to.
But, at the end of the day, I can't get past the notion that that huge chip has got to produce better images in some tangible way.
Eduardo,
I think you will be happy with the Sony. It's an amazing little camera.
Old July 15th, 2010, 03:06 PM   #19
Inner Circle

I think size wise, the camera will be quite nice - bigger than a handycam, but still very portable - the weight was something just over a pound, so easy to "lug", any way you slice it.

I'm still trying to get my head around it, and wonder about the zoom as well...

I see it as a reasonably priced way to get shallow DoF without going the DSLR route, which I'd been planning on anyway when the new Alphas with video finally hit the street. I found the vimeo HD video version... take a look:

Looks pretty good, and some of the light conditions are pretty poor, so there's potential!
Old July 15th, 2010, 06:09 PM   #20
Trustee

Thanks for the video- I hadn't seen that one yet in it's entirety. I thought it was very revealing- more so than the other samples I have seen so far:
Low light looks fine, nice blacks, plenty of detail in the shadows; shallow DOF, color, sharpness, dynamic range, it all looks great!
I doubt my EX1 could have made better images, and it sure couldn't have delivered such shallow DOF.
I'm hooked, manual zoom or not- I just preordered one :-)
Amazing rare slip-up on Sony's part: the NEX uses the same batteries as the CX550.
Old July 15th, 2010, 07:06 PM   #21
Inner Circle

I stumbled across the Vimeo earlier today, the You Tube version I saw yesterday is low res and unimpressive. I probably should go post this link in the news section...

Well, I'm happy ANYTIME I don't have to buy new accessories! I'm evaluating selling a couple Alpha lenses to put towards this, really hinges on what if any DSLR's escape the labs (or the rumoured A55 or NEX7). I'm leaning towards adding one of these into the toolbox, as I've been planning for a DSLR-V for some time, and this fits the bill from what I can see.

I'd still keep the CX550Vs, and for that matter probably a CX500 around for multicam shooting, but this would step up the "look" and be mighty useful - far more than any of the "big cams" I've owned, IMO.
Old July 15th, 2010, 07:24 PM   #22
Trustee

Definitely will keep the CX550. I always have a need for a really small cam.
As crazy as it sounds, I'm thinking of replacing my EX1 with the NEX, if it really pans out.
The EX is incomparable in terms of features, controls, image quality, but I have slowly realized that the type of shooting I actually do, I don't really utilize but a fraction of the cool features, and the EX is big and heavy- really difficult to hand hold, and a bit of a pain to transport.
So if the NEX can compete in the image dept, I may just scale down & let it be my "big" cam.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion