AVCHD capture with 64bt win 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old July 19th, 2010, 02:35 AM   #1
Major Player

AVCHD capture with 64bt win 7

I have a new PC - Win 7 64 bit, and it does not recognise the AVCHD files from the Canon HF-S10 when I am trying to download files from the internal memory. Is this camera not compatible with this O/S or is it an AVCHD problem ?

There is no problem with the SD card as I simply plug it into a card reader on the same PC.

RonC.
Ron Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2010, 06:25 AM   #2
New Boot

I think that you have to install the included Pixela software, and import using that, it converts the .mts file into an m2t file that is usable by your computer.
Jim Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2010, 05:09 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Ron, I also have Win 7 64 bit, and a Canon HF-S10 - lots of people do, and this has not been a problem. Does your computer recognise the camera? Are you looking in the right folder? (AVCHD/BDMV/STREAM)

Jim, unless you have nothing else, you don't need the Pixela software, and it doesn't convert .mts to .m2t.
Rainer Listing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2010, 07:26 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks guys, but I have downloaded the Pixela software which I find a right royal pain.
With my previous PC, before I learned NOT to use Pixela it was a very convoluted & time consuming task to upload files, but when I simply treated the camera & SD card as another drive, it all went smoothly, as it still does now, but only for the SD in a card reader.

The camera is NOT recognised at all when plugged into the same port on this new PC running win 7 64bit. (i7/920 12g).

RonC.
Old July 19th, 2010, 09:31 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Is the PC online?

I have the same PC I built half a year ago. Whenever I connect a new device, Windows goes online and downloads a new driver; so if you have it offline, that might be the problem.
Old July 19th, 2010, 09:47 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Evan, but the PC is online & it does not attempt any connection. However, I emailed Canon & they suggested a site, and when you put all the details in, it directs you to updating the Zoom browser software (totally useless ), and then it is only for Mac O/S !
I also disabled the anti-virus & firewall & it made no difference.
I have telephoned Canon tech support & they admit they are having problems with Win 7 so that is interesting. In the meantime I am stuck with video on the internal memory which I can't use. - Modern technology - aaaaaaarrrrrrgggghh !

RonC.
Old July 20th, 2010, 05:02 PM   #7
Major Player

OK, let's deal with this logically:
1. Do you have the external power adapter connected to the camera when it's connected to the computer? It won't recognise the camera otherwise.
2. Did you try another USB cable/port?
3. Can you get hold of another HFS (maybe from the dealer) and see if your computer recognises that one ? - if so, it's probably warranty return. If not, it's probably a computer issue.
If nothing works, you can copy (in camera) the content from the internal memory to the card (check the manual for how to).
Old July 20th, 2010, 08:24 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Rainer. Yes, I think the only option is to copy the files to the card, (another drama ??), and go from there. I cannot get hold of another camera and am quite familiar with its idiosyncrasies - power adapter etc. which frankly, is quite annoying, as, - if you have a large fully charged battery, and are outside with a portable laptop, you still cannot transfer your files across. - Very dumb, - even Sony I am told, got rid of that stupid protocol.

RonC.
Old July 21st, 2010, 12:15 AM   #9
Major Player

Ron, maybe some good news - you are not alone - check out this thread PC won't detect Canon HF S10??? - Canon HV20, HV30 & HV40 User Forum (summary, try a direct USB port, not a hub - btw this applies also to other Canon hardware, not just cameras), interested to hear what happens.
Old July 21st, 2010, 07:11 PM   #10
Major Player

Thanks again Rainer but I have already been there & done that and I don't normally use a hub. This PC has never ever recognized this camera directly. I still think it is something to do with the 64bit version of Win 7.

RonC.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 12:49 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I have two editing machines. One has 32-bit Win 7, one has 64-bit Win 7.

When editing AVC from my Panny TM700, LOTS of trouble on the 64-bit machine (random crashes, etc.). No hiccups on the 32-bit. So yes, I think there's a problem with the 64-bit Win 7 and AVC/AVCHD. It's bad enough that I've considered switching back to 32-bit.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion