Why does downloading take so long? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old December 6th, 2010, 08:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Why does downloading take so long?

Computer:
Imac. 2.8 GHz Intel Core Duo. 2 Gigs of memory, OSX 10.5.8

Software:
iMovie

Camera:
Sony A55, Panasonic GH1

Clip length: 29.50min

Format: AVCHD HD1920x1080

Memory Stick: SOny 16gig Memory Stick Pro-HG Duo

It just took 1 hour 15 minutes to import two 29.50min files. That's longer then real time. All other applications are closed and I'm not working on the computer while it is downloading.

Any way to speed this up? Do I need more RAM?

Thanks
Evan
Evan Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 09:20 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Was it a USB 1 interface? I am on PC so do not know what interfaces you have. As a guide normal download time for 2 hours of AVCHD 1920x1080, 24mbps from my Sony NX5U takes about 15 mins.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 09:59 PM   #3
Inner Circle

What USB? v1.1 or 2? AVCHD should download at around 1/4-1/3 real time. Somehow I suspect your computer has got some early version USB ports.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 08:44 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Evan, I wonder if there is a conversion going on to some intermediate format at the same time?

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 08:58 AM   #5
Major Player

I always recommend using an external card-reader instead of just connecting the camera directly to the PC.

If you are using an external card-reader and still getting these long transfer times, then it's possible that your computer's USB ports are not in 2.0 mode.
Guy McLoughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 08:55 PM   #6
Tourist

Long time..

iMovie imports and converts files to *.mov files so they can be edited. You will notice that the imported files are much larger in size than the originals.
Serge Mailli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2010, 01:43 AM   #7
Inner Circle

As Serge says iMovie by default converts to Apple Intermediate CODEC as AIC is easier to edit. When you import there is a tick box that says something like 'optimize video'. If you untick that box it will import without conversion. Whether your iMac will be beefy enough to edit AVCHD HD1920x1080 files natively is another matter of course.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2010, 02:06 PM   #8
Regular Crew

My first video, 19.5 minutes long, downloaded in 15 minutes via 2.0 USB. I removed the class 10 SD card and plugged it directly in the card slot on my PC and the same file downloaded in 3 minutes. Downloading via USB subjects your downloads to the USB software before it ever commits to the hard drive. Thank goodness I bought a camera with removable memory.
Robert Ellis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion