DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   AVCHD Format Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/)
-   -   Batch transcode many AVCHD clips? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/491194-batch-transcode-many-avchd-clips.html)

Joe Marler February 3rd, 2011 02:12 PM

Batch transcode many AVCHD clips?

I'm doing an initial rough edit on about 25 hours of AVCHD material for a documentary. Initially I'm cutting clips using Smart Cutter by FameRing, and logging them into an Excel spreadsheet.

However the editors must use the resultant AVCHD clips, which SpeedEdit doesn't support.

What is the best way to batch transcode hundreds or thousands of AVCHD clips? I have Premiere Pro CS5 and various other video converter utilities.

Junior Pascual February 3rd, 2011 04:41 PM

Cineform's NeoScene will do that.

Robert Young February 3rd, 2011 06:44 PM

Joe
You are trying to transcode AVCHD into what format??
It's not clear to me what you are trying to do exactly.

Joe Marler February 3rd, 2011 06:58 PM

Our main editors use SpeedEdit, which does not support native AVCHD editing.

I can quickly sub-clip the original material without reencoding, but those sub-clips must then be dragged into a timeline and edited.

After creating the AVCHD sub-clips (which stay in AVCHD format during that process) it appears I'll need to batch transcode them to AVI or some other format which SpeedEdit supports.

My question was what's the best utility and procedure for batch transcoding from AVCHD to (let's say) AVI?

Ray Barber February 4th, 2011 02:19 AM

I second Neoscene. You can get a good deal on it from Videoguys.com - CineForm NeoScene for PC and Mac

Robert Young February 4th, 2011 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Barber (Post 1614467)
I second Neoscene. You can get a good deal on it from Videoguys.com - CineForm NeoScene for PC and Mac

Absolutely
The Cineform HD avi codec is bulletproof & if your editors have the software to decode it, it should work fine.
I edit nearly all of my HD projects as CF regardless of the acquisition codec

Iker Riera February 5th, 2011 03:00 AM

in my usual workflow, i batch transcode AVCHD files to Avid DNxHD .mov files with Adobe Media Encoder. Works great.

Joe Marler February 5th, 2011 09:25 AM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The editors downstream from me have now upgraded their software to handle AVCHD directly.

If that doesn't work, after I clip out the rough cut (about 20% of the raw material), I'll transcode that smaller portion from AVCHD to AVI using Media Encoder, CineForm, etc. before passing it to them.

Justin Hewitt February 12th, 2011 08:51 PM

"MainConcept Reference"

is another great option

Martin Smith December 23rd, 2012 07:04 PM

Re: Batch transcode many AVCHD clips?

Just wanna help out, I have scripts, drag n drop EZEncoder, that will convert to prores for windows or most any other format you like all free, EZEncoder An awesome ffmpeg based encoder that does it all

Batch conversions by the folder...