Program to convert 1080i to 720p at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old April 4th, 2011, 05:52 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Program to convert 1080i to 720p

I would like to convert 1080i to 720p. I would like to buy a program, other than $450 NeoHd, to do this.

I am shooting with two cameras in 720p, and a third in 1080i.

I would like to have three lines of footage to match on the timeline.

I hope I am clear here. I edit 6-8 hours worth of footage per project and do not want to mix different types of footage on the timeline as has been suggested elsewhere.

Does anyone know if Tmpgenc will do this, based on experieince?

I edit in Vegas and do not wish to use Vegas to convert, it sucks.
Old April 4th, 2011, 11:00 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Program to convert 1080i to 720p

I use After Effects and have had no issues with the Adobe Media Encoder.

Just curious: Why don't you import and use the 1080i footage along with your 720p (down-rezed)? With the right conform settings in Vegas, it should work, shouldn't it?
Old April 5th, 2011, 05:26 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Sareesh, I assumed, maybe mistakenly, that rescaling in Vegas would look bad, compared to resizing in a dedicated program.

The real issue is with my cameras, and I'm rethinking how I'm shooting.
Old April 5th, 2011, 06:29 AM   #4
Trustee

One of the advantages of AE (or Nuke) is that you can work in 32-bit mode - it allows you a lot of latitude when it comes to resizing and conforming.

People discuss and argue about pixel counts, resolutions, i vs p and color spaces all day long; but I've learnt through real world tests that if your source footage is good, a one-time transcode to another professional format will hardly be noticeable. If you have the time to test: try a small sample in 16-bit mode in Vegas and render out to your choice of codec. I'll bet that even to professionals, a first generation transcode will be impossible to detect unless you tell them what you've done.
Old April 5th, 2011, 11:22 AM   #5
Trustee

Adobe Media Encoder CS5 seems to do a much better job of rescaling than the earlier versions.
I used to handle that sort of thing in Cineform only, but now I'm generally satisfied with the AME performance.
Old April 5th, 2011, 11:47 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Hmm, I have CS4 master collection, I might already have that program and not know it.

Guys, I appreciate your assistance. I am starting from scratch and ditching 1080i mode altogether.

You see, one of my three cameras, the GH2, will accomodate a monitor. I have a Sony 5" and it looks really great on there.

The thing is the HDMI out on camera only functions in this mode, and my other cameras are shooting in 720p.

To make matters worse, the 1080i on my camera is actually 24p in a wrapper. It has been strongly recommended to not introduce this into the mix. I already am vaguely aware of the pitfalls of shooting in 24p, and not the least of which is it will likely not convert well to mix with 720p, and the for a final conversion down to SD.

Long story short, I'm abandoning my beatiful new monitor, with a very heavy heart, and shooting 720p across the board, problem solved.
Old April 5th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #7
Trustee

Probably the smart move- simplify your life.
BTW, Adobe Media Encoder CS4 does NOT rescale well, it's only AME CS5 that does it well.
Old April 5th, 2011, 05:22 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Thanks for the tip...I do have CS5, I was confused. I have not installed it though I've had it for months. I'm still using CS3! I look forward to installing CS5 though!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion