How to handle AVCHD 720 60p & 1080 30p in post at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old August 8th, 2011, 05:29 PM   #1
Major Player

How to handle AVCHD 720 60p & 1080 30p in post

Not sure if this has been asked before or not....search didn't find anything.

I film weddings and have been thinking about getting a Panasonic GH2 to replace an HV30 used in the back of the church as a 3rd cam. The other two cam's are Sony FX1000's that I have always recorded in HDV 1080 30p. I believe the GH2 will be AVCHD 720 60p.

What will be the best workflow, to handle these two formats, in the same Vegas project?

Thanks,
Tim
Old August 9th, 2011, 01:00 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: How to handle AVCHD 720 60p & 1080 30p in post

I have no experience with Vegas, but my workflow of choice with mixed formats has been to convert everything to the Cineform digital intermediate codec. (Cineform Neo- Cineform )
Your Sonys are recording HDV 1440x1080 1.33par, the GH2 will record 1920x1080 AVCHD 1.0 (square) par.
The Cineform software/plug-in will convert all of this source footage into 1920x1080, 10 bit, 4:2:2, 100mbs .avi files which are easily edited and exported to whatever delivery formats are needed.
A newer approach: I am currently using Premiere Pro CS5.5 which will actually allow me to put mixed formats on the same timeline. It will edit and preview in realtime if the system is powerful enough.
You should check & see what the latest version of Vegas will do in this regard.
Old August 10th, 2011, 10:54 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Some quick advice. AVCHD is hard on CPU's and can be difficult to edit with. MAKE SURE your project settings are set the same as your AVCHD footage, meaning same frame rate, bitrate, resolution, etc. If you start editing AVCHD in a project with HDV settings, it will likely lock up and crash your NLE. This is assuming you are editing with the raw AVCHD files natively and not transcoding before editing. I learned this lesson the hard way.

I'd also suggest purchasing ClipWrap ($49.95) and wrapping the AVCHD files as a QuickTime .mov files. Makes editing much easier.
Michael Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 11:35 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Michael, I'm still on a quad 4 so it may not handle it well anyway.

Looks like the biggest problem with mixing these two formats is like Robert says, the pixel aspect.

I have posted a question in the Vegas forum that addresses this.
Old August 10th, 2011, 07:50 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Just FYI, ClipWrap is a Mac only software. I did not know that until AFTER I paid and went to install it. Good news is they were quick to respond to my email and are refunding my money.
Michael Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 02:52 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Edius Neo 2.5 (or 3) is a great tool to have on a PC. It can handle AVCHD natively, quite nicely on even a low end quad-core CPU, is very stable and generally quite capable for basic editing purposes. A big bonus with Neo, is the Canopus HQ codec, a high quality intermediate codec that works well with other apps also, performing essentially as well as Cineform's codec for most purposes (sometimes perhaps slightly better, in my opinion).

If you want to mix different frame-size footage (on a PC), converting to Canopus HQ and then resizing with VirtualDub, using the Lanczos resizing algorithm, is a very good way to get a high quality conversion. Resizing with almost any NLE generally produces less than stellar results (and can often downright suck).
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2011, 01:22 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright View Post
If you want to mix different frame-size footage (on a PC), converting to Canopus HQ and then resizing with VirtualDub, using the Lanczos resizing algorithm, is a very good way to get a high quality conversion.
One nice thing about the Cineform software- it does use the Lanczos algorithm and will resize all of the files that require it, on the fly, during the initial conversion.
You simply set the desired output frame size, select all the folders containing video files to be converted, click "start" & the entire process is automated.
Old August 29th, 2011, 12:31 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Akin View Post
Not sure if this has been asked before or not....search didn't find anything.

I film weddings and have been thinking about getting a Panasonic GH2 to replace an HV30 used in the back of the church as a 3rd cam. The other two cam's are Sony FX1000's that I have always recorded in HDV 1080 30p. I believe the GH2 will be AVCHD 720 60p.

What will be the best workflow, to handle these two formats, in the same Vegas project?

Thanks,
Tim
I suggest you try re-posting this as a workflow question in the Vegas forum here. I only dabble occasionally in Vegas, but I think I recall reading that you would want to work with a 720/30p project. Again, however, check with the Vegas forum.

Otherwise, I'm with Robert on using Cineform. It may take a bit of time and eats up a lot of hard drive space (AVCHD files decompressed to HD AVI will be roughly 6 times larger than the origianls), but the editing workload is significantly lighter. Also, if you buy Cineform's Neo (as opposed to NeoScene), you get the First Light application. First Light allows you to do color matching (which can be required when combining Sony FX1000 footage with GH2 footage). The color matching is done in meta-data so it is a very light load on the computer as opposed to what you get when using most applications' own color correction filters.

Again, though, YMMV with Vegas and Cineform. I know they are supposed to be compatible but I do not know details. This is another question you could ask on the Vegas forum.
Jay West is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion