DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   AVCHD Format Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/)
-   -   Project 24p to Bluray with Mixed Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/501586-project-24p-bluray-mixed-media.html)

Jason Garrett October 13th, 2011 09:56 PM

Project 24p to Bluray with Mixed Media

Ok you guys, I hope somebody won’t mind to oblige me in examining my situation and providing advice. I recently picked up a Canon HF S20 to make the move up to 1080p from my Sony DCR – HC 96 Mini DV. I’ve done a few home movie DVD’s with the Mini DV video and I’m generally familiar with video formats and Premiere.

I have to confess that my head is swimming with the complexities that I’ve gotten myself into with this new camera. First, I didn’t have any idea that AVCHD was going to be such a beast to edit generally speaking. I had an AMD 650 Duron desktop until 2007 that I captured and even edited video with and it was ROUGH. My *new* desktop is a dual core 2.8ghz recently upgraded to 6 gigs of RAM running Windows 7 64bit and two internal 7,200 rpm drives. I never dreamed that my machine would choke on this video like it is. LOL Wow! It sliced through that Mini DV video like a dream. I can deal with it though if it’s mostly a time issue in exporting it. I’ve seen the Cineform option and not interested in files that huge. I’m using Premiere CS 5 by the way, but with a recently upgraded video card that is only 512 megs and not compatible with the Mercury GPU function. If I had only known ahead of time.

My bigger issue is that I read prior to purchase that the 24p on this camera was such hot stuff that I shot a bunch of video in that frame rate and only now am I really realizing that I probably should have done a lot more homework on this than I did. I am aiming to create a documentary type project and have the capacity to output this to both Bluray and DVD if possible. I have a lot of older video from the Mini DV and even old 8mm stuff that I captured with the Sony that I am hoping to use too.

For starters, the 24p is importing to Premiere showing as 29.97 frame rate video and the output video is really jerky with any movement at all when I try to encode to 24p. I see now on here that this is about what to expect. The original source video is not nearly as bad and it seems to output best with 29.97 encoding oddly enough from this project. Am I missing something here? What’s happening with that?

I actually started this project with CS 3 and I am fairly certain it was 1080p 24p, but not the AVCHD project settings that CS 5 has. The project has a large amount of assets and I hate to have to go through importing them all again if I don’t have to – particularly the huge number of still photos that I have imported in nested folders.

Basically, it boils down to me wondering what my options are for creating Blu-ray discs of this project as a priority and what would be the most universal settings for that – I assume that not every television is going to have a 24p mode even if I have the capacity to encode to that. I hate to end up with something that can’t be viewed even by anyone with a Blu-ray player. I admit that as technologically inclined as I like to believe that I am – this is all getting into realms that I am not familiar with. I just bought a Blu-ray burner for my pc and a player for my 1080p 40” LCD television to test this project with.

Do I want to do the 2:3 Pull-down to all the 24p video and make everything 29.97 or is that already being applied by default and that’s why I’m seeing the clips as 29.97 as assets? I see that NTSC projects have that as a default setting. So, on export I want to use 29.97 I would assume – that seems to make the video smoother, but still not ideal. Luckily, most of it is not action oriented, but there are a lot of panning shots that will be jerky I’m sure unless I find a *frame rate* to help that.

Sorry for the length and I apologize for any terminology that I may have gotten wrong or not used in description and the vague project settings in description. Like I said, this is going into territory that I haven’t had experience with and I may have shot myself in the foot not learning more before I jumped in to do it. I appreciate any suggestions to pull this off.

Jason Garrett October 14th, 2011 06:30 AM

Re: Project 24p to Bluray with Mixed Media

I might add if it makes any difference that I searched high and low for reference sites on the internet before and after the purchase of my new Canon and I somehow managed to miss this site. I’ve even asked a few professionals since beginning and haven’t been directed here – this is exactly what I was looking for. The old VideoHelp.com - Forum, Guides, Tools and hardware lists site was about the only reference that I knew of prior to finding this site regarding digital video. Very pleased to find this site, but a little late in the game for me.

My project is a little on the time sensitive side at this point – so, any help would be appreciated without spending hours searching through the site now. I hate to sound like a kook, but I’m compiling a documentary that I believe could be relevant to the *Super Committee* looking for budget cuts and I would like to pump something out that is at least a rough cut of it to distribute to them.

It’s political, but unless you’re from Oklahoma – it’s more in your interest to see those cuts targeted here as opposed to your home states. Regardless if they do manage to put together a plan – I want to see them get this prior to a vote.

'Super Committee' Timeline to Reduce the Budget Deficit - National Journal staff - NationalJournal.com

Ron Evans October 14th, 2011 09:12 AM

Most universal project settings would be 29.97 interlace. This will play on all the TV's with all interfaces. 24p has to have 2:3 pulldown to be displayed on normal interlace displays or progressive displays that do not have a refresh rate a multiple of 24. So some plasmas can do this as well as some 120hz LCD etc. This also has to be from a Bluray player over HDMI as the player needs to know the display status to correctly format the output. So in most cases 24p has to be encoded with 2:3 pulldown and playback will have this cadence rather than true 24p.

Since you have so much resource that is not 24p I would stay with a 29.97 interlace project. NLE should apply pulldown as needed I think. Not a user of CS5.

As far as judder is concerned on panning--- that is the problem with slow frame rates like 24p or 30p. You really need to avoid panning as much as possible or very, very slow pans. Tracking the subject will be fine but background will always judder. This is why films use shallow depth of focus so that the subject is in focus and the rest is out of focus masking the effects of the slow frame rate.The faster the frame rate the less judder.

Ron Evans

Jason Garrett October 14th, 2011 12:59 PM

Thanks – yes, I believe this might have been better posted in the Adobe forum for specifics in use of it for the outcome that I am looking for.