DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   AVCHD Format Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/)
-   -   My Canon HF11 needs to be resurected. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/503706-my-canon-hf11-needs-resurected.html)

Robin Lambert December 19th, 2011 09:26 AM

My Canon HF11 needs to be resurected.

Right, I know that you should never try repairs at home but...

Whilst I was away, my missus took out the Canon HF11 to do some filming and got it wet. Very wet. Drowned by a deluge in fact.

So now it does nowt. Absolutely nothing. It has been fully dried out and.... Still not a sausage.

My question is (and I have tried the "reset") is there a fuse inside the camera which may have blown? Since there is nothing at all, even when the charger is plugged in, I'm hoping that Canon have built-in some sort of safety-fuse somewhere.

If not, I have just acquired a very expensive doorstop.

Buba Kastorski December 19th, 2011 12:05 PM

Re: My Canon HF11 needs to be resurected.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Lambert (Post 1704554)
I'm hoping that Canon have built-in some sort of safety-fuse somewhere.
If not, I have just acquired a very expensive doorstop.

yes you did, but don't forget to thank your "missus", I am not kidding, perfect excuse to get a new one for Christmas!

Dave Blackhurst December 21st, 2011 07:54 PM

Likely to be dead... very dead. Cameras are not usually designed to be soaked, water and electricity don't mix well, and major electronic repairs are costly, usually better to buy a new one, sadly.

No way of knowing without tearing it down if it's even worthwhile for "parts", but that's likely all you've got. If something electronic gets wet, SOMETIMES you can dry it out successfully using the right approach and revive it, but that would be the same day to buy a lotto ticket...

Bruce Foreman December 22nd, 2011 05:53 PM

Robin, Canon will usually refuse to attempt repair on a camera that has gotten wet. Consider it a loss although you might try the rice method of totally drying it out (if you have NOT tried to operate the camera).

Put the camera in a ziplock bag but do NOT SEAL. Take a second (perhaps larger) ziplock bag and put uncooked rice in it leaving enough room to put the first back with the camera in.

Leave both bags UNSEALED, place on a dry, warm (NOT HOT!) surface like the top of a refrigerator and walk away for 3 days.

That may "resurrect" it. If you tried to operate it while wet, that may have really damaged circuits. I'd try the rice method anyway. Nothing to lose.

Robin Lambert December 23rd, 2011 03:22 AM

Thanks Bruce, I tried something similar with packets of silica gel but it is still deceased.

Thanks for the help chaps.

Bruce Foreman December 23rd, 2011 01:20 PM

Putting power to it, trying to turn it on before it was fully dried out inside probably finished it off.

Time for a new camcorder, look at the HF M40 or HF M41. The latter has an EVF also.